Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolve

I'm lousy and making and keeping resolutions. My friend Nancy makes it a point to make resolutions every year that are very achievable - like one year she resolved to brush her teeth for at least two minutes every time she brushed. Brushing her teeth for the ADA recommended two minutes may not have been a sea change in her life, but it did improve her overall dental health (theoretically, anyways; I'm not her dentist or anything.)

Me, I always resolve things that are more...generalized. Like to improve my eating habits, exercise more. One year I made this whole huge list of things and did not do even one of them (okay, well I did get Oscar's bassinet in the attic; and I did have baby no. 2, although it wasn't really "planned.") Last year, I resolved to not get pregnant or give birth in 2009. So, that one worked out pretty well for me.

This year, I've decided that instead of making resolutions to change things in my life, I'm going to resolve to keep doing the things I'm doing well.

So, I will continue to:

1. Parent my children in the best way I know how.
2. Make healthy, nutritious dinners for my family at least five days a week.
3. Not be pregnant (unless I decide to become pregnant again. Unlikely, but possible.)
4. Laugh with my husband.
5. Be more easy going.
6. Swear less.
7. Love more.

Happy New Year, folks! I hope this one brings you all you've been hoping for.

Submitted as part of Sprite Keeper's Spin Cycle.






14 comments:

jpooh said...

Well, shit - I didn't even think about resolving to swear less. Damn; my bad.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

VandyJ said...

That's the way to keep your resolutions. Great idea.

Happy 2010!

Cara said...

Love this list :)

Good luck on the pregnancy issue...you know I've got my legs crossed up tight.

Heather said...

That's a pretty damn good list to keep up. I'm still working on the whole swearing less thing...little ears hear EVERYTHING in this house and I keep getting in trouble for it.

Happy New Year!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Swear less? Shit, that's all I have! :-)
You're linked, and maybe I should work on my cussing as well.
Happy New Year, Jenni!

Casey said...

Smart to do the achievable goals. I never do that so this year I'm setting the bar low and not resolving shit.

anymommy said...

I can't swear less either. I love, "not be pregnant, unless I decide to be pregnant again." Lol. Me too.

Patty O. said...

Aw, man, I should have resolved not to get pregnant this year! I love that one. It is hopefully achievable and a goal that will save my sanity. And it seems a lot easier than losing weight....which always seems to be my resolution.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I like this...no resolutions to do things you're not already doing! I resolve, then, to keep being fairly positive and having fun with my kid, and only yelling at the dog twice a week instead of twice a day!

JennyMac said...

This is a great list..and I could certainly swear less and love more.

Stimey said...

Those are all wonderful ideas of things to do. Happy New Year!

Mrsbear said...

Good call, keeping the things that work. I like it. Although, I think I'll resolve to swear more since I really feel like I don't say buttmunch enough on a regular basis.

Hope you had a fab (healthy) New Year and only get knocked up if you mean to. ;)

kanishk said...

That's the way to keep your resolutions. Great idea.

Work from home India

Erin said...

i LOVE your resolution to not get pregnant! I may steal that, but with our fertile luck, it won't stick!