Thursday, January 14, 2010

And Then There Was Pee Pee

Last night, after some yelling and crying and running in circles and many declarations of intent to urinate, Oscar pee-peed in the potty.

He'd been running around naked for quite awhile pre and post bath, covering his bottom, farting profusely, and finally announced, "I have to poop! I have to poop on the potty!"

Nelson took him into the bathroom and sat down on the toilet beside Oscar's potty, modeling potty behavior as we have been for months. But, Oscar wouldn't stay put. He kept jumping up from the potty and running around in circles shrieking.

Nelson got frustrated and thought maybe Oscar was just trying to delay bedtime (entirely possible) and told him no, no more potty, at which point Oscar burst into fat, hot tears and began wailing about his need for potty.

Then, he asked Nelson to leave the bathroom; he wanted his privacy. Oscar shut the door and we hear him saying, "There's pee-pee in there. I just gotta try. I gotta try and pee-pee. I gotta try and poop. I just gotta try and use the potty."

He popped in and out of the bathroom three or four times, and then I finally told him he needed to try one more time, then it was time for bed.

So he did.

"I just gotta try. I just gotta try an pee-pee in the potty."

He came out 30 seconds later, grinning.

"Did you do it?"

"No, there's no poop in there."

"No poop?"

So I went to check and he wasn't lying; there was no poop.

Oh, but there was pee.

"Oscar! What is that? Did you pee-pee in the potty?"

"Yeah, Mommy. I pee-peed in the potty," he said, and then he stuck his hands in it.


19 comments:

Veronica said...

Yay Oscar! Except for the hands part.

Sprite's Keeper said...

And then there was a bath.
Yay, Oscar! Such a big kid!

Sam said...

I do not look forward to potty training. Can I just skip it?

Cara said...

Way to go Oscar!

I am adoring the "just gotta try" line!

rachel said...

That's wonderful!!!! Ben played in it the first couple times. I think he was amazed that something came out of him. LOL

jpooh said...

This made me LMAO! Way to go, Oscar! The poop will come.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

Susanica said...

Awesome! Way to go Oscar!

Casey said...

Woo hoo! Yay for peeing in the potty! We keep a stash of organic jelly beans in the bathroom and Graham gets one for pee, two for poop. Hehe. So far, he's only gotten two on a handful of occasions but the jelly beans seem to work.

Jamie said...

So awesome and funny. Way to go Oscar! I need to adopt his motto.

VandyJ said...

And so it starts. Good for Oscar. Just keep trying--a motto for all of us! I'm not looking forward to training Bruiser, we just got to the point where we aren't needed in the bathroom when Turbo goes(most of the time). It will be a wonderful day when I no longer have to wipe a small person's butt.

Becky said...

Woohoo! Well he's on his way now! I am all too familiar with the running around and frantic activity to try to avoid the need to sit on the potty. It's a phase, as is the hands-in-toilet thing, I hope!

Stimey said...

Awesome! And then...gross.

Mrsbear said...

Aw, come on! Kind of takes away from the victory, doesn't it? Still, pee-pee in the potty is a score. I love that he was trying to psyche himself up.

Mrsbear said...

Oh and we're still waiting for poop in the potty. Nothing yet. Zilch.

Aliceson said...

Way to go Oscar! For my kids poop was way easier than pee but it will all come together eventually, I promise!

Keely said...

Yay! Nice. We still only get informed as the event is happening (and then only randomly). Can't wait til the 'playing in it' phase, frankly.

時髦 said...

愛情是盲目的,但婚姻恢復了它的視力。.........................

bsouth said...

Wah, well done Oscar, but also, doh!

Sara said...

ha! That story had everything! Conflict, suspense, triumph, humor, grossness. And I love his pep talk to himself. Too sweet! Good for him!