Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cry, Baby

We're back to cry-it-out with Miles William. At nearly 13 months, he's still waking 2-3 times a night. Enough is enough.

Easier said than done, of course.

There's the issue of his ear infection, which was making his already shitty sleep schedule even shittier. He's been on the antibiotics since Friday though, so really that's not so much of an issue any more.

Then there's the issue of night weaning. Yes, he still nurses at night. Multiple times. Or, he was until this week. Miles is officially night weaned.

And so we arrive at cry-it-out. Monday night was our first official night.

Now, he's been waking at 11pm for months. Since August. I know, right? August. He usually wakes at 11, at 2, and at 5. Can you believe that? My one-year-old is keeping the hours of a newborn.

Good thing is, he hasn't been waking at 11 for the past two nights. On Sunday (one of the worst nights of my life) he woke for the first time at 2 and last night he didn't wake until after 3.

Last night, we let him cry.

He cried for about an hour straight. It sucked.

He cried for another hour intermittently (quite for 5-15 minutes; crying for 3-5 minutes). This was actually worse because Miles would be quiet just long enough for Nelson and I to drift off, and he'd start up again.

He was asleep just before 5 and woke again shortly after six and was pretty much up for the day after that.

Last night, he started crying around 12:30 and kept it up for about 45 minutes, and intermittently for another 30 minutes or so. He cried out once or twice every 45 minutes or so all night - no sustained crying, but it was certainly enough to keep me from getting a good night's sleep. When he woke at 5, I took him into the bed and nursed and snuggled for nearly an hour.

I'm feeling exhausted. This is right around the time I usually give in. Night three - I'm so exhausted, and if I just take him into the bed and nurse him we will all get some sleep. And that is true enough, but it's certainly not a good long term solution. In fact, it does more to hurt than to help; it reverses any progress we've made.

So, tonight I vow to stay strong. Consistency is key (say it with me!)

It's got to get better.

12 comments:

jpooh said...

Oh, jeez. You're on the right track, of course, but I know it's still hard. If it's any consolation, I'll be up with you, although for different reasons. Teh menopawz, it's kickin' my butt.

Being a girl ain't for sissies.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

Jamie said...

Stay strong, you all deserve that sleep and will be a much happier family for it. You.can.do.IT!

VandyJ said...

Be strong. It has to get better. I'm hoping it goes well for you because we will be doing the same thiong soon. Bruiser still nurses at 10:00pm and again at 4-5am. then wakes up for good at about 6:30-7am. I'm not looking forward to weaning because it means a lack of sleep. I'm rooting for you.

Amy said...

Stay strong. It WILL get better. He's a big boy, he knows you love him, and he CAN sleep through the night.

In solidarity,
B

Sprite's Keeper said...

I am sending some solidarity prayers your way, my friend!
I really hope MW gets through this so you can get your sleep!

Jenn said...

Don't give in! It will work. Baby Miles will learn fast, I promise. For me, every time I have to let one of the spawn cry it out -- they seem to need reprogramming every once in a while -- it's hard, hard, hard, but I am a better mom with a full, uninterrupted night of sleep. And my children are happier, healthier too.

Captain Dumbass said...

Geck! Hope he's over that soon. And thanks for reminding me about late night feedings. Yay!

Casey said...

CIO is the best thing we ever did. YOU CAN DO THIS. You totally can, you're almost there.

I feel like we're in the same boat right now. We started the Super Nanny technique with Graham four nights ago and it's hell but it's getting better. The first night took two hours of walking him back to bed over and over without talking to him before he finally went to sleep.

Stay strong. Do it.

Veronica said...

I don't want to talk about sleep right now. I didn't get much of it last night either. Night weaning is in our future. Soon.

bsouth said...

It takes three nights to train them - tonight is key. Damn, I just realised you wrote this yesterday. Hope it was ok.

We've just had to do the same with my son and he was two last October! Oh, the crying, not the night weaning! It was painful but worth it for a good nights sleep.

Momma Mikki said...

God love you! We're beginning the process with a sucessful transition into his own room...but no night weaning yet. He's only up once, though. God love you. I hate this part. All our love and support.

Mrsbear said...

Oh man. It's easy to give in, but you've gotten this far. If you can get through one night, you can get through two or three. Think of the light at the end of the tunnel. There's sleep there. ;) Good luck!