Tuesday, January 5, 2010

RTT: Fortunes, Foreshadowing, and Fresh Bread

It's Tuesday folks and I am ready to bang this post OUT! As always, thanks to Keely for the inspiration.
randomtuesday

*We got Chinese for dinner Monday, on account of my extreme exhausting (see yesterday's post) and my fortune was, "You are always welcome in any gathering." That's nice and all (and obviously true) but that's not really a fortune, is it? A fortune should be something to do with your future or a change in fate. Being well liked and a good party guest isn't really about fate. It's about social skills. There is a slight possibility I'm over thinking this.

*The other fortune cookie I opened said "Your dearest dream is coming true." Now that is a fortune.

*I started cloth diapering the boys last month. I was just tired of all the rashes and the weird disposable diaper smell and the stinky garbage and just the quantity of garbage. And, I'm loving it. Yes, I have to do an extra load of laundry every other day but it's not such a big deal. I'm kind of hoping it well help get Oscar ready for toilet training. He said the day, "Mommy, my penis is cold" when his diaper was wet, and he was distinctly displeased about it. Yeah, it's not going to help at all, is it?

*On that note, I told Oscar last night that starting today he has to sit on the potty every morning after he wakes up and every evening before bed. He said okay, but I think he's learned how to just say what I want to hear as a means of placating me.

*On Sunday, I heard Oscar call out the words, "Miles! Come here, Miles! I need your help!" And then I felt the ice cold sensation of terror running down my spine because there is no way Oscar was up to any good. And what could a one-year-old possibly do to "help" a two-year-old? Shenanigans, that's what. I am in so much trouble with these two.

*I got a DSLR camera for Christmas. I got it a few weeks early, actually, so I could get used to it and have it for Christmas morning. Want to see some photos? Well, you can't because I broke it. Two days before Christmas. I was bitching at Nelson and I dropped it right on the lens. Luckily we got an extended protection plan and it's been in the shop for two weeks now. Possibly I should bitch less at my husband? Bah!

*I received a beautiful Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer for Christmas from Nelson's mom and a whole grain cookbook from my brother-and-sister-in-law, so I've begun making my own bread. I love it. I can't believe it's taken me this long to start. It tastes so much better and it relaxes me. And, the kids and Nelson love it. Oscar begs for a piece of bread like other kids beg for cookies. I'm doing mostly sandwich loaves because we eat a lot of sandwiches and toast in these parts, but I attemped baguettes and I'm going to do some other shaped loaves this week.

*I also made some chewy whole wheat chocolate chip cookies that may be the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever baked in my life. They are amazing.

*I didn't do a HASAY post yesterday, but I gained nearly 8 lbs over the holidays. No worries - I'm back on the dieting horse. Right after I finish these cookies.

14 comments:

jpooh said...

I love my DSLR, and can't wait for yours to get repaired so I can see some photos! What kind did you get?

I also love my KitchenAid stand mixer and I love baking bread. I also make mostly sandwich loaves, for the same reason, but have done a few "artisan" breads (there's a recipe on my site for a killer pecan-raisin hearth bread). My most recent obsession, though, is homemade brown-and-serve rolls. You can have warm rolls with dinner any day of the week, and we LOVE that.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

Sprite's Keeper said...

You better ship them cookies down here. I'm sure by the time I get them, the calories will have worn off. Yum!

Heidi said...

You have a stand mixer - hooray! Now you can make Hot Crossed Buns:

http://feedingthebensons.blogspot.com/2009/04/happy-easter.html

I expect to hear of your results by Easter :)

The Crazy Coxes said...

It sounds like you scored some great Christmas gifts!!!! Nice!

Oh the places you'll go and the fun you'll have with those boys!

Boys are the best! Enjoy!
Happy Tuesday!

Cara said...

Cloth diapers, Kitchen Aid mixer, homemade bread...those are 3 staples of my life. Now I just need my damn birthday to hurry up & get here so I can get my camera :)

I still put Claire in cloth @ naptime & she does not like it one bit when she wakes up & has wet herself. We're still using disposables at night because I have yet to find the right cloth that can hold it all in.

Mrsbear said...

The best fortune cookie I ever got said, "You are a happy man." Why yes, yes I am, thanks for noticing.

We're deep in the potty training failures here. I don't know what this kid's deal is, the other three were so easy by comparison. Ugh.

Fresh baked bread. MMMMM.

I am Harriet said...

I like your fortunes!

Have a great Random Tuesday.
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2010/01/like-i-wanna-read-about-reasons-some.html

Design it Chic said...

If you still got it, pass me that second fortune cookie.. I'd use it right about now:)
also...awwwwww.. you make your own bread... why did i stopped doing that??? i so love the smell of fresh baked bread!kudos!!

Happy Tuesday and here's my Randomness today!

Keely said...

I laughed out loud at Oscar needing Miles' "help". Oh, you are SO in trouble.

Can't wait to see what you do with your DSLR! Mine collects more dust than I'd like but when I'm motivated it sure takes purdy pictures!

sheila said...

Hi, this is my first time here. Sorry about your camera, that sucks. Last year the same thing happened to my daughters camera. Same exact thing.

Looking forward to seeing some new camera pics in the future!

Julie from Momspective (w/linky) said...

That's it. I'm never reading another post while I diet. All I'm reading about is bread, fudge, chocolate. I'm crying. Not really. I lack the emotional capacity to cry but I would if I did.

Casey said...

Oh man, can't believe you dropped your new camera. You're the only person I know who actually got a protection plan on anything and yay for doing so.

I think we're getting Chinese tonight. Don't tell HASAY. I've stopped going for my daily drive through soda and it's day 3 so that's something, right?

I always wanted to start cloth diapering but I feel like we're almost to the finish line so why start now.

Graham's started showing interest in playing with Elliot too, waits for her and leads her by the hand all over the house. It's cute. I think it's a dye free thing since before he would just smash her head into the baseboards.

bsouth said...

I've got a breadmaker. It's my best friend!

Erin said...

you are so awesome! taking on bread making and cloth diapering! can't wait to see some of your favorite recipes!