Tuesday, February 16, 2010

RTT: Sleepless Nights, Face Plants, and Zombie Babies

It's Tuesday, I'm tired, so lets get Random.
randomtuesday
*If you haven't already, click through today and check out my new header. I changed it up in celebration of my 500th post. And also due to the fact that the old header was nearly two years old and I now have twice as many children.

*Miles was up four times last night. Four. 9PM, 11:30PM, 2:00AM, 5:00AM. He's teething, but after all that? Miles woke up with same four teeth he's been sporting for the last six months. I'm pretty sure he's torturing me.

*Oscar refused to go to bed last night. Just refused. He was up until 9, when he woke up Miles. I'm certain the two of them are colluding.

*Nelson is out of town in Nebraska until Thursday. I'm pretty sure he's in on the torture plan as well. Okay, I'm sure he's not in on it at all. In fact he feels really, really bad because the kids always do this to me; they always act out and refuse to sleep and are on their worst behaviors when Nelson is out of town. But, I find it really hard to accept his sympathy when he's a thousand miles away, sleeping in a big bed all by himself, all night long, completely uninterrupted.

*Never before have I even so much as entertained the most fleeting of thoughts that I might like to visit Nebraska but holy crap do I wish I was there right now.

*In all fairness, I should mention that the boys have been mostly good during the daylight hours. They've been playing together really well and we've had a great time. In fact, we all got to take a nap yesterday. Even me! They only show their fangs at night.

*I had a great Valentine's day complete with a sleep in, handmade valentines, and hand made photo magnets (by Oscar, with minimal help from Nelson.) Best Valentine's Day EVER.

*In the area of wins, Oscar's potty training is going really well. He is down to minimal accidents, one every two or three days. I'd say he's making it to the potty about 95% of the time for number one and 80% of the time for number two. Unfortunately he's constipated this week which is a potty training momma's worst nightmare. Regardless, I'm still really proud of his progress and every time he says, "I have to go poop! Hurry! I have to go now!" I'm very proud.

*When we were at the pediatrician's office for Miles the other week, the doctor told me that Oscar (who was with us) speaks as well as a 3 to 3.5 year old. I was shocked. I mean, I know he speaks very clearly but what the hecks do I know about toddler language development? All I really know is Oscar. I'm going to go ahead and credit my excellent parenting for his advance verbal skills.

*Why were we at the doctor for Miles? Well, while I was in the bathroom and he was sleeping (I thought) in bed with Nelson, Miles took a face dive off the bed. Just crawled right off and landed on his FACE. He was bleeding from his mouth and clearly had a fat lower lip. Now, if you have a toddler it's likely they've had a fat lip, so you know they bleed quite a bit, but stop bleeding pretty quickly. Well, Miles did not stop bleeding quickly. He bled, and bled a lot, for an hour and a half. I was starting to freak out when it stopped. I had actually called Nelson twice on his way to work to tell him I though he was going to have to come home so we could take Miles to the ER. Miles seemed fine - he was eating, drinking, laughing, playing - that's why I didn't freak out more quickly. A couple of hours later when we were at Danny's house, Susanne and I noticed some blood spots on Miles's left eye, so we decided to bring him in. He was fine, just banged up. He had a bruised eye, a busted lower lip, and all that bleeding? Well, he'd torn that flap of skin that connects your upper lip to your top gum line. OUCH. The doctor said that it is not an uncommon injury and it heals itself, but it does bleed a lot. No kidding. A week and a half later our little guy is no worse for the wear and we've managed to keep him from launching himself off the bed again.

*Not one to be outdone, Oscar and I were dancing in the kitchen two nights ago and he slipped and caught his cheekbone on his wooden step stool. He's got quite the nasty bruise on his face.

*Miles is talking more and more. His verbal repertoire includes the words: no, hi, bye, uh-oh, ah done (all done), dog, Dada, Mama (only when he's crying), and Ah-ca (Oscar.) Miles will lumber around, arms outstretched, calling, "Ah-ca! Ahhhh-ca!" It's kind of zombie like, but way cuter and I'm pretty sure he doesn't eat brains. He's also finally started walking for real, though he still crawls more than he walks.

*In outrageously cute news the other day, Miles was sitting on the ground playing with monster truck ("Vrroom! Vrroom!") and Oscar sat down beside him and said, "Can I play monster trucks with you Miles?" AND THEN HE DID. Heart, melting.

Okay, off you! Get thee to Keely's and check out the other Random players. Thanks for stopping by.

18 comments:

Strawberry said...

Apart from the lack of sleep and husband being out of town, those are some really lovely updates. And I love the new header!

Jamie said...

Man they are cute with that wavy hair.

Ugh, with the sleep issues. Yeah for naps!

Yes, excellent parenting = excellent verbal skills. Good Job.

I am Harriet said...

It's nice when everyone can get along.

Have a great RT.
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2010/02/2-entrehaunted-sites-boohes-pregnant.html

VandyJ said...

Bruiser earned his first goose egg Sunday. While couch diving, he hit the wall. got a lovely little bump over he left eye. I see stitches in his future, lots of stitches.
Cool with the talking. Bruiser babbles lots but no real words yet.

rachel said...

shout out to Oscar for going in the potty! i love your brotherly love stories, makes me want another baby... but i will stick to reading about Oscar and Miles ;)

Casey said...

On behalf of you, I forbid Nelson from ever leaving you again. The kids KNOW you're flying solo and they step it up a notch.

I LOVE the new header, too cute. And I'm glad Oscar is a little chatterbox. Graham is too, he's got a huge effing vocabulary but we can only understand him about 85% of the time so I need to get him tested for speech. Again.

steenky bee said...

Congrats on your 500th POST! Wow! You busy gal, you! I'm almost up to 300. What do you do for that milestone?

Also? With the poopin'? My best friend was Cracklin' Oat Bran dry ceral. They're sort of sweet and I give them to the kids every few days to keep that *train* a moving.. Choo-choo! I can't wait until we're at BlogHer and we can pillow talk about poop in person.

Sprite's Keeper said...

"Ah-ca!" I'm in love!

Mrsbear said...

I love, love, love the picture.

The kids definitely know when you're outnumbered. On the nights my husband is on shift my kids never fail to take me to the brink. Even when they're little. They know.

I'm with you, man. There is something immensely gratifying about my kid finally pooping on the toilet. Phew.

That little flap of skin in Miles' mouth tearing? Ugh. Poor guy. I had no idea it could bleed for that long, wow. Must've freaked you the eff out.

gretchen said...

I've got one word for you to help with the teething. Bourbon. A little bourbon on the gums and they're OUT. No? Okay, whatever. Be responsible.

Aliceson said...

Oh! I love that new header of yours. Perfect!

WarsawMommy said...

Oh, man. Lack of sleep - I can sooo relate.

Thank goodness my husband has not taken up torturing me, and is right here in the flat with us every night. Isn't it nice what a couple starts to share when the kids arrive? Sleepness nights, and diaper duty, and singing 'Mr. Sun' in turns, and taking the kid to the doctor for injuries sustained from face plants/nosedives/handstands gone way wrong.

I hope you get some sleep soon! ;)

Captain Dumbass said...

You should get some video of the cute zombie.

jpooh said...

I remember those days, when they were forever falling down or off of something; it always amazed me that no one ever called child services because surely I had to be beating the poor little darlings for them to be so bruised so often. The Young One was the worst, because he was always in such a hurry to keep pace with everyone. For awhile he had a semi-permanent bruise in the middle of his forehead, which just so happened to be the same height as most of the tables in the house. Poor kid bounced around between them like a damn pinball.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

Frogs in my formula said...

Holy cow you've been busy. Changing headers and not sleeping and craving Nebraska and dealing with bloody faces. Great randomness.

Sounds like a great V-Day.

Keely said...

Love the new header!

X tripped on his Pooh Bear and rapped his head off the corner of the wall the other day. It's quite the spectacular bruise. But I think the torn mouth-thingie wins.

Susanica said...

Fantastic post Jenni and an even more fantastic new header. Captures the boys perfectly. If Nelson is anything like me when he travels he thinks he's going to sleep wonderfully, but he wakes up every few hours sure he hears a baby crying. Or maybe Nelson is nothing like me. Hmmmmm... No, Nelson doesn't sleep well on the road. Sure of it. ;-) -M

crazylovescompany said...

ec So much to comment on..... starting with loving the new header!