Tuesday, March 9, 2010

RTT: Broke-down Diarrhea Palace

It's Tuuuuuuueeeeeeeeesssssssssssdaaaaaaaaaay!

randomtuesday

*My washing machine is broken.

"But, Jenni, isn't that the brand new washing machine you just purchased two months ago?"

Why yes, yes it it. And it's not just broken; it's REALLY broken. We're talking multiple system failures here. It crapped out on Thursday; I've had one 2.5 hour visit from a repairman who was unable to repair it because they CARRY NO PARTS STANDARD ON THEIR TRUCKS (uh, then how do they FIX things???); spoke to customer service multiple times, the high point being where I burst into tears and described my 15-month-old's explosive diarrhea (got me overnight shipping, though); and culminated in a call from the corporate office, extending my warranty for an additional three months with their sincerest apologies. You know, so it can continue to break and be fixed for free for that much longer.

I just want a new machine. I think the one I have is defective or was damaged in shipping or something, because the two parts that failed have nothing to do with each other. My parts should arrive today and then I can schedule service (2-4 days), so hopefully it will be fixed by Thursday or Friday. Let me tell you why I don't think this is going to happen. The repair man? He left my house Saturday telling me my machine worked fine, but the basket needed to be replaced. I could still use the machine in the meantime though. I was surprised to hear this as I'd been completely unable to use my machine for the past three days.

Well, I had to flag him down in his truck and bring him back in to show him that the machine was NOT working. Not at all. They he diagnosed a second problem (broken cold water valve) that he'd been unable to figure out in the prior 2.5 hours. The machine was not filling up with water. How did he miss that? HOW? Particularly when I told him this was the problem.

*In other related news, Miles has had diarrhea for two weeks. Apparently, it's a particularly insidious gastrointestinal bug and he may have it for another week. And it's the really good kind that is squishing out of his diaper and onto his clothes two or three times a day. Oh, and since I HAVE NO WASHER, I had to switch back to disposable diapers and those diapers, combined with the big D have left him with a really horrible diaper rash. So he's been in a great mood.

*I have to give a shout out (do people still say that?) to my friend Pam and her husband Rick who let me wash my very dirty diapers at their house on Sunday, saving me a trip to the laundromat with my two toddlers. I pretty sure they also saved my soul from eternal damna damnation, and my children's lives with their act of generosity.

*You know, I have to admit, it's kind of freeing. All this not having to do laundry, I mean. I have all this time on my hands now. I realize this is going to bite me in the ass in a couple of days when I run out of underwear and my kids' pants start smelling funny, but I'm trying to look at the positives.

Go on over to Keely's for a little less diarrhea with your Random.

18 comments:

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

It does not sound like you're having any fun at your house!! Your machine definitely sounds defective - especially since you only bought it 2 months ago!! They should replace it, not just extend the warranty for 3 months. That repairman sounds like a piece of work, too!

Hope the little one is feeling better! Broken machine + diarrhea = insanity. ((HUGZ!!)) :)

jpooh said...

I hate repairmen. I HATE repairmen. I am with you all OVER that one.

Poor Miles. I hope he feels better soon.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

I am Harriet said...

Those are some wonderful friends :)

http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/03/half-of-all-americans-live-within-50-miles-of-what-how-long-would-you-wait/

VandyJ said...

Oh, I hope things are improving. If the parts don't work definately lobby for a new machine.

blissfully caffeinated said...

Oh. No. Washing machine repairmen are, as a rule, generally useless. They only come over to your house so they can charge the estimate fee. They never actually fix anything. I hope the diarrhea clears up soon and your machine is fixed quickly. And that you have lots and lots of liquor stashed in your pantry. You need it.

The Crazy Coxes said...

No! Not the washing machine! Just got through dealing with that! I'm not sure what's worse - not being able to do laundry for 2 weeks or having to catch up once it's fixed! Sorry!

Happy Tueday!

Aliceson said...

Oh No! Out of commission laundry facilities are the worst.

We've been dealing with a nasty stomach bug too and of course extra laundry because of it but I couldn't imagine not being able to wash any of it.

Big Mama Cass said...

Oh my goodness!! Make them replace it! The fridge we got at sears turned out to be a lemon and we had the repair guy out SEVEN times before they finally replaced it.

Sorry to hear about the tummy bug, that sounds HORRIBLE :(

FoN said...

Did you buy the same machine as Dooce? She went public with her washing machine woes and ended up with four new cars and a trip around the world or something like that. Start the crazy!

JessicaP said...

No washer sucks a big one girl! I would be demanding a new washer if I were you! When you can get to the laundy mat it will not take too long to do all that laundry. I was happy when I went and got it all done, lol! Good luck baby...

Sprite's Keeper said...

I really do feel for you, but every time you mentioned the word diarhhea, I broke up in laughter. I need to stop this juvenile behavior. Tomorrow, I promise.

Cara said...

Flipping ridiculous. I can't believe you're having these problems after only 2 months. I hope your parts get there ASAP so you can get back to business.

I'm so sorry M-Dub is sick, too. We just went through that a few weeks ago & it's miserable for all involved.

anymommy said...

That is awful. I wish you fixed/replaced washing machines and solid poops. Amen.

Sam said...

OH DEAR GAWD. I am so sorry. This is horrible, terrible, and awful.

Mrsbear said...

WTF? You totally deserve a new washer. You're getting played by the system. Jerks.

Poor Miles! Two weeks of diarrhea is no joke. :( Hope he's better soon.

gretchen said...

Poor you. Poor Miles. Poor customer service person who you told all about the diarrhea. I sincerely hope your machine isn't from Sears, because they are the WORST about repairs.

BTW, when Jude was a little guy he had a nasty bout of diarrhea that went on for weeks, and finally, the doctor decided that his flu bug had made him temporarily lactose intolerant to my breast milk. She had me give him soy milk for two days and it totally stopped the diarrhea. Went back to the boob just fine.

I'm pretty sure this is the most times I've written the word diarrhea in one comment.

Casey said...

Oh man, that is truly a shitty problem. And a brand new washer breaking already, sucky. Don't you have 90 days to return it? Swap that fucker out, do it.

I hope the poops stop soon. Poor baby.

Keely said...

Today X pooped a man-sized poop in the tub. But you still win.