Tuesday, March 23, 2010

RTT: Funerals Can be Fun(ny); Spring has Sprung

My brain is (almost) ticking so lets do this thing.
randomtuesday
*At our aunt's funeral last week, I sat with my lovely sister-in-law, Suzi (I believe this is her Oscarelli debut!) as both of our husbands were pallbearers and sat in a special section reserved for them.  The service was very moving; my brother-in-law wrote a joyful and inspiring eulogy; there were readings and songs and many, many tears.  The service was Episcopalian and the mourners were all offered communion - real wine and wafers, not grape juice and saltines.  So, as the minister is offering communion she says (and I'm not even kidding), "If you are chewing gum, please spit it out.  I only want Jesus in your mouth."   Suzi whispers to me, "Um, that sounds a little dirty." And that is the first time I almost laughed inappropriately at a funeral.

*The second time I almost laughed in appropriately at the funeral was after communion.  The, um, assistant (?) took the two chalices of wine and downed what was left.  I think that's standard, because you can't very well throw away the blood of Christ, right?  Then, the minister poured her self some wine and drank it.  Then, she poured her self a SECOND nip, shrugged her shoulders as if to say, "Meh, why not?"  and knocked it back.  It was awesome.  I mean, it was after eleven, so really, why not?

*Miles has figured out how to blow his own nose. Fifteen months.  Genius.  Okay, well he hasn't figured out that he does not need to blow it 15 times in a row, or that you should not put used tissue back in the tissue box, but you know he's only fifteen months, what do you expect?

*We got the boys a monster train track for Easter and are going to set it up so it's ready for them when the get up in the morning.  And I'm going shopping for Easter eggs and prizes this weekend so we can do our first  official Easter Egg Hunt here at the house.  I'm really looking forward to it.

*My 32nd birthday is in 13 days.

*We packed up a ton of winter stuff yesterday evening.  Most of the kids' long-sleeved shirts, all of their sweaters, the heavier pairs of long pants.  Today I'm going to pull the winter coats off the coat rack.  I'm also hoping to upload and order some new pictures (it's been since before Christmas) and put a few frames on the walls this week. And, major decluttering is about to happing up in here, people.  I'm going through toys, books, papers, art projects.  The NCC is going to love me.  I'm going to make a to do list even.  I love spring.

*Miles has cut an incisor and a molar.  We're up to six teeth!

*My girlfriend Tracy is getting married in May and her bridal shower is this weekend.  It's a lingerie shower.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to die of embarrassment.

*My new washing machine is super awesome.  So, shortly after Sears scheduled delivery of a new machine, I got a call from the repair people telling me they were having trouble ordering a new agitator for my machine because they could not find the part in stock and that the repair was going to take and additional week.  Can you believe that?  Well, I told them they could cancel and am now enjoying a perfectly running washing machine.  Knock on wood.

*If you read this blog, odds are good you also read Suburban Matron so you likely already know that my friend Becky has been diagnosed with low to intermediate grade breast cancer and is scheduled for a mastectomy and breast reconstruction next week.  Her sense of humor and her strength and her wisdom and common sense through all of this are nothing short of inspiring.  If you want to pop on over there and give her some cyber love and support, I know she'd appreciate it.

As always, thanks to our host The Un Mom.  Stop by her place and check out the other Random players.

20 comments:

Kat said...

I would have laughed at the funeral. There would have been no almost.

Everyday Goddess said...

Did she follow the second glass of wine with a cigarette or a shot of Tequila?

I only have Jesus in my mouth. Ever.

I am Harriet said...

I love getting new appliances.
Have a happy birthday!

Have a great Tuesday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/03/hey-bloggers-hersheys-donating-10-childrens-miracle-network-post/

SuperJenn said...

Ooooh shiny new appliances. That is love.

I would have cracked up at the funeral...I hope that is something the aunt would have liked :)

My (now)2yo used to do that blowing her nose thing...now she walks up to be saying "buuuhgger" with one stuck to the end of her finger. We're moving backwards.

VandyJ said...

Hey it's five o'clock somewhere right?
Bruiser is cutting his first molar-misery thy name is Bruiser.

Strawberry said...

Those instances sound like very appropriate laughing to me. Jesus in your mouth? Wow.

Go Miles! I eagerly await the day ours can blow his own nose.

Melanie said...

Way to go Miles!! My kids are 8 and 10 and I swear they are still figuring it out!!!lol. And Jesus in your mouth?? that's priceless!

Heidi said...

Got to be careful with the used tissue thing - more than once I've found a slightly used one in the box. Eww!

♥ Kathy said...

I'm sorry about your aunt and your friend.. Happy early Birthday :) and Happy RTT!

CaJoh said...

What a catchy phrase… "We only want Jesus in our mouths"

Don't know why, but it always seems that those stoic times are when I decide to have a laughing fit— you know when you just can't stop laughing and you have to laugh ever so quietly that it makes your head burst.

Thanks for your randomness,

Mrsbear said...

This may be a stupid question, but does everyone share the chalice or do they dole out disposable cups or something? Seems kind of unsanitary, unless the blood of Christ can prevent you from catching swine flu.

I think I would've had to exit the building after that first comment though, a case of the giggles at a funeral is always awkward.

And my three year old STILL cannot blog his nose. Miles is a genius.

Julie from Momspective said...

So it was a Catholic mass then? HA. I'm an Polish/Irish girl. You wouldn't believe the rules I have to follow.

Jan said...

I, too, would have absolutely laughed at the funeral.

Happy almost birthday, girl.

Captain Dumbass said...

Could Miles teach my oldest to blow his nose? Seriously, that boy is going on seven and you'd think I'd asked him to build a fusion reactor.

Frogs in my formula said...

I would have laughed too. That's too funny.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I wish I could repeat the first part to John, but he'd never believe me. Therefore, I must lead him here!

anymommy said...

Oh my gosh, that Jesus in your mouth thing made me laugh out loud. I'll be thinking of your friend. Have a very happy birthday.

Design it Chic said...

I would have laughed at the funeral too. Happy early b-day!.. that's funny.. the two sentences one after the other:) anyway..
Happy Random here's mine

Casey said...

Holy shit, I haven't stopped by Becky's in awhile, headed there now to show my support.

I want Jesus in my mouth. Wait. No I don't. That was hilarious and I would have cracked up.

The nose blowing will get old. Elliot started about that age and is still doing it and she'll be 2 in a few weeks. Annoying. Cute though.

Keely said...

32? You whippersnapper.

I would have laughed my ass off. But I'm sacriligeous like that.