Monday, April 26, 2010

Almond apricot chicken with mint pesto


So, weeks and weeks ago I promised that I'd post a recipie from my meal plan and let folks vote on what they wanted to see.  There wasn't a whole lot of consensus (or votes), but the almond apricot chicken with mint pesto got the most votes.

I've been putting off posting because the photos didn't turn out great and the kids were particularly squirrelly the day I was making it (hence not great photos.)  And, truth be told, I didn't LOVE the chicken or the pesto.  I though the pesto was too oily and the chicken was good but not good enough for all the calories and fat.  But Nelson really enjoyed it, so here goes:

Almond Apricot Chicken with Mint Pesto from Great Food Fast

For the pesto:
\
3 cups lightly packed fresh mint
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup olive oil

1. In a food processor, combine the mint and almonds; process until finely chopped.
Hey, is that bowl on backwards?  Why yes, yes it is.  And no, I'm not going to tell you how long it took me to figure that out.
Still on wrong...

Yeah, she's got it!

2. With the motor running, gradually pour the olive oil through the feed tube.  Season with salt.  Keep at room temp until ready to serve.
My giant man-hands dwarfing that two cup measuring cup.  GIANT, I know.

Pesto photographs HORRIBLY
For the chicken:

Mmm...raw chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each) (mine were closer to 4 oz. each; still worked)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 ounces goat cheese
Course salt
Fresh ground pepper
4 dried apricots, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Cut a slit in one side of each chicken breast to create a 4 inch long pocket.

2. Combine 1/4 cup of the almonds with the goat cheese and apricots.  Stuff each breast with a quarter of the mixture; season with salt and pepper.
Almonds, apricots, cheese, prior to mixing

Raw chicken with cheese, yum

3. On a plate, combine the bread crumbs and the remaining 1/4 cup of almonds.  Dip each piece of chicken into the beaten egg, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.

Note small child attempting to scale dishwasher to eat raw egg, breadcrumbs.

Miles was climbing my legs while I took this photo.

4. Heat the oil in a large oven proof nonstick skillet (I NEVER use nonstick skillets, FTR) over medium heat and cook the chicken until golden on all sides - 3 to 4 minutes each side.  Transfer skillet with chicken to oven and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.

NOT non-stick, but no sticking occured

Serve with mint pesto on the side.


Look at all the crap on my table.  No, I don't mean the food.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I cannot even begin to say how impressed I am that you made this with two little ones running around! Some days I wish I could set a box of crackers down in front of my husband and call it dinner!

Whenever I'm cooking Gia is always right behind me so I'm always tripping over her, or she's pulling anything & everything off the counters & table that she can reach...so dinner takes twice as long and is twice as aggravating!

Sprite's Keeper said...

My table has crap on it too. And yet, I'm okay with it. :-)

JeremiahRenne332 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aliceson said...

Looks delicious!

Crap on the table? Ha, I recently posted photos to my blog with a dead computer printer right in the way (that had been sitting there collecting dust for longer than I'd ever like to admit) and I'm the one trying to convince people that I can be trusted to take professional style photos for them. Ha!

JessicaP said...

Pesto should not be photographed, lol! You don't have that much on your table, it takes a crane to get ours ready for dinner time. That's three kids and all their homework for you... Sounds like something I might try one day when the kids are gone, maybe on vacation!

Keely said...

lol! Pesto never looks appetizing, but man, it's good.

You'd be horrified by my table and it's amount of crap...I try to keep it contained to a stylish basket, but...yeah. Doesn't happen.