Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Much improved

Bacon be gone! I guess the nitrates were doing a number on him, and the thing is, I know better. I know how out of whack Oscar gets on any kind of artificial colors/flavors/preservatives.  I guess I was blinded by my love of bacon, and Oscar is at the finicky eater stage and he loves bacon. I am going to get him some nitrate free bacon this weekend.

So, much improved.  As in, napping is happening.  As in, both boys are at my feet right now, assembling a monster-sized train track.  Together.  "Which train do you want Miles?  Do you want Toby?  Here, you can have Spencer!" As in, no physical fighting and no screaming (well, no more than normal toddler screaming.)

This?  Has been a fantastic day.  Oscar at all of his lunch; a whole grilled cheese and about a half cup of grapes. He even at his breakfast, and the breakfast was SHARED French toast and strawberries for both boys.  "Here, Miles!  Some strawberries for you.  Do you want some of my French toast?  Okay!  Can I try yours?  Okay, thank you, Miles."

This day.  This day reminds me what a joy and privileged it is to be a parent to these two boys.  Leading rock renditions of the Itsy, Bitsy Spider; building and rebuilding train tracks; chasing them up and down the hallway, "Fee, fi, foe, fum!  I smell little boys and I'm gonna get some!"; uncontrolled giggles; spontanious kiss and "I love yous."

These boys.  These boys.  They've got my heart.

13 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

That's it. I'm sending you my girl. The lack of nap thing is getting to me.

Mrsbear said...

Success rocks. I'm happy for you. And more than a little jealous of the napping. Down with bacon! Well, for Oscar, just send the nitrate laden remnants to me, I don't have any adverse reactions, I promise. :)

VandyJ said...

It's days like that that make this mom thing worth while.

Captain Dumbass said...

Yay! Congrats on finding his kryptonite.

Michele R said...

Awwww. So sweet. And they will always adore their mama.
Mine are 20 months apart and in 8th grade and 6th grade. This a.m. before school I suggested that they spend their morning time in the kitchen in shifts since they can’t be nice to each other in the morning. (I have a 3rd too who is super sweet).

rachel said...

Your mom-ness amazes me! Who thinks of bacon? Not me... Last weekend I was so focued on finishing homework and studying for monday's test, that I gave my poor little guy a pack of cheese crackers and a banana for breakfast. :( I need super-mom lessons. LOL

Barbara said...

Yay! Thank goodness for nitrate free bacon otherwise life would be tough.

Sorry I haven't been commenting much, as usual my reader is looming large and scaring me! I have been reading though (I liked the chicken and mint pesto post particularly).

gretchen said...

Hurray for a great day! My sympathies to Oscar about the bacon, but seriously, the nitrate free bacon is damned good too.

Big Mama Cass said...

Awww that is so good to hear. Awesome news!!!

Heather said...

These elusive days are a must, a memory we can cling to on the worst of days. I'm so glad you finally caught a break. I just can't imagine the no nap thing, its the only thing keeping me sane these days so I'm happy for you that the naps are back.

Casey said...

Ahh, food can really screw with our kids, no? Bacon though, BACON. It's its own food group. Hmm, we eat the Jones Natural Maple Sausage, off to check the label. We had to quit the Banquet Turkey sausage cause of the soy. Soy in sausage. WTF. This week's experiment is bottled water to see if our tap water has been contributing to the craziness. I'll let you know what we find out but so far, it seems to have worked a little. Grr.

Keely said...

Geez, I'd never think that bacon could be a culprit. Good for you for finding it!

and yay for "good" days!

FoN said...

Awe, that was nice. And I'm at stupid work. You're lucky.