Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It's a Cookie Puss!


Things continue to be a bit gloom and doom over here.  We got the news the preliminary recommendation for Nebo is euthanasia and the procedure is tentatively scheduled for this Saturday.  We get confirmation on Wednesday; because it is a no-kill shelter, they take euthanasia very seriously and Nebo's case will go before a board who will make the final decision.    I also got confirmation that Nelson and I will be permitted to be with Nebo, and for that I am grateful.  I am very glad that the last thing he sees will be the two people he loves the most and that the last thing he feels is how much we love him.

**********

My brother turned 28 yesterday.  I made barbecued chicken, grilled corn, and a green salad at his request.  It was delicious.  We finished the meal with a Cookie Puss and I felt like I was back in 1985.  I was totally feeling the urge to peg my pants and watch Footloose.  It was a great celebration and great fun, which we really need around these parts.

Oscar was enthralled by the Cookie Puss.  A cake made out of ice cream?  All that brightly colored icing and gel?  Oh, the kid was salivating, even after I allowed him TWO ice cream cones.  At one point, he was hovering over the cake with his mouth open, getting ready to just bite into it.  We had this conversation:

"Oscar.  Are you going to bite that cake?"

"Yes!"

"What do you think is going to happen to you if you bite into that cake?"

"Uhhh...time out?"

"That's right. You will get a time out. Go see MeMe and she will give you a bite of her cake."

So, then he just sat there, hovering over the cake, mouth open.  You could see he was weighing his options: Bite the cake and suffer a time out or don't bite the cake and don't get a time out?  Would the bite of cake be worth it?  Would I really give him a time out? Would a bite of someone else's cake taste as good as sinking his teeth into the big cake?

Ultimately (thankfully) he chose to have a bite of MeMe's cake and spare himself the time out, but it definitely took him minute or two to decide.  I can't say that I blame him.  It was a damn good Cookie Puss.

11 comments:

Keely said...

"Cookie Puss"? lol! That's a new one on me. Glad to see Oscar hasn't gone over to the Dark Side...yet.

Susanica said...

I LOVE Cookie Puss!!! Ah, that does bring back memories of some great early 80s birthday parties!!!! -Su

Strawberry said...

Yay for learning restraint! And I imagine that was very, very hard (I mean, ice cream cake, come on!)

So sorry about Nebo.

Momma Hunt said...

I just came across your blog from another one that I love. I was so touched by your post about your dog. I had a beloved dog that we adopted a few years ago and he had a long term (and what would eventually be terminal) illness. He started to become aggressive and that was what determined when we put him down. I knew it was the right thing to do but it still broke my heart to do it. My heart goes out to you!

Jan said...

I have NEVER heard of a cookie puss - but you can be guaranteed I will research it. Oh yes - I WILL.

I'm so sorry about Nebo. How kind of you and Nelson to be there with him, if and when it happens.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Totally worth the time out. He has some good resistance skills to stop himself from taking the bite.

Stacie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Nebo. I know how difficult it is to have to have a pet be euthanized.

That is too cute about Oscar and the cake. Oh the temptation!

Michele said...

Sounds like a great time.

I love the fact that you let him make the decision. I am a big advocate of allowing children to make age appropriate decisions for themselves. Look how it worked out for me; two boys graduated from college and no jail time.

Sorry to hear about Nebo. I know how hard it is.

Stimey said...

I've never heard of a Cookie Puss. Huh. I love his reaction to the choice you gave him.

I'm so sorry about Nebo. Hugs to you. :(

Captain Dumbass said...

Never heard of Cookie Puss, but good on Oscar for fighting the Dark Side. Sorry about Nebo.

gretchen said...

Oscar's a valiant little man. So sorry about Nebo. Ugh. And I too have never seen a Cookie Puss before. I have clearly missed out! Is it a regional thing or am I just too damned old?