Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rough

I had a rough day yesterday.  Nothing really exceptional happened other than cleaning up a lot of other  people's urine, but I was jut having trouble dealing with the every day.  I was tired and sore and just grumpy.  Not a good combination, particularly not to deal with a high energy toddler.

Oscar and I were at odds yesterday.  Like I said, it was nothing exceptional.  His behavior was not especially bad or annoying, but my attitude was so poor that I was easily frustrated.  It started when he woke up and had peed the bed.  It was one of those bed pees that soaks every thing - mattress, sheets, down blanket and duvet.  It was a whole lot of pee for 6:30AM.  A two loads of surprise laundry (my least favorite kind) on top of the several waiting desperately to be washed.

So later, when Oscar had a pee accident for the first time in more than six weeks, I reacted badly.  I was angry with him.  I didn't yell at him, but I was not calm and reassuring, as I should have been.  And when he had another accident later in the day, I was even more angry because he'd peed on the bathroom rug..  Again, no yelling, but I'm sure it was obvious that I was annoyed that I had to clean up the bathroom floor and the bathroom rug and change his pants yet again. Really, the poor kid was trying to get to the potty and just couldn't get his pants down, so not at all his fault, but I was just in a mood.  When I finally took a minute to talk with him, he told me his "butt hurt" and I realized he was constipated again, hence the potty accidents.

Then,when he shoved his the Cozy Coup on it's side while his brother was in it, I was furious.  I put him on the porch steps for a time out, and he refused to stay.  So, I told him every time he went down a stair I would add a minute to his time out.  The time out got up to seven minutes and I realized it was out of control, so I brought him inside and upstairs for his time out.  I was mad, and I told him he'd better not pee his pants again, or I would be very angry (which is true, I would have been, but inappropriately so; and it certainly was not okay for me to tell him as much.)

He screamed and kicked the gate at the top of the stairs and was super, super angry with me.  Then poor Danny had an accident which was fine and didn't make me particularly angry (he's much more novice at the potty training than Oscar) but I was kind of thinking, "Really?  More pee pants?  MORE PEE PANTS?"    I'm sure it happened during the Oscar/Momma battle and poor Danny didn't say anything because he didn't want any part of that mess.

So, I changed him and reassured him that accidents were okay, then went to get Oscar from time out.  He was in the bathroom on his potty, the sweet boy.  But, things had gone poorly and he'd gotten pee all over his pants and the floor (AGAIN), so more floor cleaning and another wardrobe change, though I was much less annoyed this time, though I was in major disbelief because, OH MY GOD MORE PEE?  FOR REAL?

And Miles also peed out (SERIOUSLY?) making for my fifth pair of pee pants in one day and I was just done with pee, okay? ENOUGH WITH THE PEE.

Oscar was also doing lots of running and screaming and not sharing and being rough with his brother and not listening to a word I said all day long.  Yes, all of these are pretty normal toddler behaviors, but when you couple them with the enormous amount of pee everywhere I freaking tuned, it was just too much.  And, when I'm frustrated, Oscar totally tunes into that and it amps him up even more than usual.

Not to mention my house was a wreck and the laundry was (is) just ridiculous.

Today has been better.  I picked up a million tiny socks (and some large ones, Nelson), put away several loads of laundry, made the beds, and even finally washed the pee sheets/duvet.  There was not enough dry milk for this morning's bread, but I let it go because my kids slept until after 7am (an almost never occurrence), and that allowed me to drink my coffee without a kid hanging off my leg (again, and almost never occurrence.)  And then, Miles danced to the sound of me whisking scrambled eggs, which may very well have been the cutest thing I've ever seen.  No one has peed his pants (yet.)

I keep reminding myself that I am better at this mom gig most days that I was at it yesterday.  That one off day does not make me a failure and that today is my opportunity to get it all right.  Or at least more of it right.

Onward.

12 comments:

VandyJ said...

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. That's all you can do. Hopefully today involves less pee. And I feel for you on the Oscar constipation front. Turbo had bad issues with constipation until he was around four. It's no fun for anyone.

Susanica said...

Seems it was not a good day for the potty yesterday. We had to change pants twice more upon returning home yesterday evening. I can't tell you how grateful we are that you're willing to have Danny come in underpants though. Thanks Jenni!

Jan said...

I had the opportunity this weekend to change the diaper (several times) of a VERY active 9-month-old who has decided that his least favorite thing in the world is lying still to have his diaper changed. It reminded me how tiring it can be to care for very small children day in and day out, and gave me a renewed appreciation for the job you do.

Mrsbear said...

That much pee will put a sour spin on anyone's day. Max had two accidents yesterday too oddly enough, the first in months of successful holding-its. On the flapping carpet... I was less than understanding. It happens.

Yay for dry days. ;)

Aliceson said...

By the end of the day, I bet you were thrilled for it to be over. I hope you are stocked up on laundry soap. :)

Becky said...

OMG the pee! That much pee would get on anyone's last nerve. I swear, sometimes when I'm reading your blog and then you mention Danny, I'm like, whoa, she's taking care of THREE children. Cut yourself some slack, big time.

And oh, time out. Time out is such a pain--I never think I'm doing it right.

Kingsmom said...

I think when they're older we may miss these days? Yeah or no?

maybe not so much. Glad it's turning around. You're not alone.

Keely said...

Huh. Musta been something in the air, because X peed his bed, AND on my couch. Hang in there.

Julie from Momspective said...

My son has been ass-tastic for 3 days now because of his antibiotics. We're doing everything the doc said to prevent the ass-a-thon but it's just poo central. 7 days to go...

Amy said...

Girl, that is seriously a lot of pee--I kept reading going, "REALLY?" I think you handled it a lot better than I would've. I would've been tempted to stop giving them anything to drink!

Onward indeed!

Heather said...

Yeah, that sounded like a rough day alright. I really hate those kinds of days, the ones where my patience has flown right out the window...the days where the light at the end of the tunnel starts with bedtime. I hope today was a better day.

Casey said...

It's understandable to be pissy when your days are pissy. Graham has started having more accidents lately that are directly related to his pool water consumption and it's hard not to be frustrated at him. Here's hoping today is a better day!