Thursday, May 20, 2010

Weaned


Miles is officially weaned and I'm really sad about it.  He'd cut down to just once a day (at night) and would only nurse on one breast.  He has a lot of teeth and (unfortunately) was not afraid to use them.  He's been nursing less and less, some nights not at all.  It was too the point where he'd nurse greedily if I offered it to him, but he was no longer asking to nurse.  So I stop offering.

It's been more than a week.  I was a little itchy and uncomfortable at first, but it wasn't too bad.  Mostly I just feel sad.  I decided that if  Miles asked to nurse, I would let him.   He did ask once, when he woke up at night teething, but since I night weaned him months ago, I refused.  And since then, nothing.

I have to admit that part of me was really hoping that he'd ask to nurse again and I'm disappointed that he just let it go so easily.  Not that I wanted to fight with him over it; I guess I'm just not entirely ready to be done breast feeding Miles.  He's been such a good nurser and he so lovely and cuddly.  From that very first latch, he's been a champ.  He would cling on to my shirt and gaze lovingly into my eyes as I nursed him, occasionally breaking his latch to grin at me.  When he was an infant, he'd take these big swigs - you could hear is gulping the milk down - and he'd heave this huge sigh when he finished.  It is also just really gratifying when your body can nourish your baby like that, and they love it so much.

After two days of no nursing, Miles attached to a little, stuffed bunny.  It's already ragged beyond recognition.  When I was reading about toddler weaning, the article said that if the child suddenly attaches to a blanket or stuff animal, that's a sign they've been weaned too early.  So that makes me feel awesome.

Anyways, that it.  I'm sad, a little guilty, but mostly sad.  My baby is growing up and I'm just not quite ready.

13 comments:

Jan said...

Your boys are just adorable. I LOVE that last picture - he has so much personality!

Those sweet little babies will turn into wonderful young men one day, and you'll love that, too.

rachel said...

He is growing up so fast!!! He's adorable :)

Michele said...

Weaning that last baby was hard on me also. I loved nursing both my boys and 23 years later I still look on it fondly. You did a good thing nursing your boys for so long.

I wouldn't put to much faith in the attachment he has with the bunny being a sign that he was weaned too early. From your description it sounds like you let him make that decision and that makes it just the right time.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I know exactly what you mean. I wasn't ready either. And yet, I was.
I KNOW a lot of cuddles are still in your future. :-)

Susanica said...

I was that last pic when looking through your slide show yesterday and was going to tell you that I loved it. Glad you put it here. Sorry you feel so sad Jenni. I know he still loves for you to hold him though. And that's something I hope none of our kids ever get weaned from. -Monica

VandyJ said...

I'm getting close to this moment with Bruiser. I happy and sad about it myself. He still likes to nusre about three times a day but he is still hungry and eating lots of other stuff too. I guess it's just another sign they are growing up. AND as far as I know, at this age they attach to something anyway, not because they were weaned too soon or too late.

gretchen said...

I feel your pain. Jude totally weaned himself too. And that business about attaching to a bunny meaning he was weaned too early is total doodoo. I'm known kids who breastfed for YEARS and then had stuffed animals they attached to, and I know kids who never breastfed at all who never had anything they were attached to. Miles weaned because Miles was ready to wean!

Heather said...

It's hard to give up something so wonderful as breastfeeding. The first few months are so hard, and then one day all of a sudden it's second nature. I love when Lorenzo stops and smiles at me, the twinkle in his eye is magical. I'm going to have a hard time weaning him too. My MIL thinks its disgusting that I'm going to breastfeed past 6 months...I think anyone who can think that something as beautiful as nourishing your child, as well as providing comfort from our body is completely clueless. There's nothing better than their soft little bodies snuggled close and that "drunk" look of satisfaction. You are an amazing mom, what a great gift you gave by nursing your son. I feel your sadness, each step further from their "babyhood" is rough on us momma's.

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

Becky said...

Hey, I know what you mean, I felt sad at that point too. But he was in the driver's seat, it sounds like. I agree with everybody who says it wasn't too early. But still, it's a certain chapter in your relationship, it's fine to really feel the transition. Congratulate yourself, though, on nursing successfully! And he is so sweet in those photos!

elizabeth said...

This is good for me to read right now as I'm stuggling with getting breastfeeding started. Yes, I do recall eventually loving it with Madden...despite a VERY rough beginning. Your post reminds me that there is guilt and sadness on both sides of it. Hang in their sister!

Casey said...

Holy crap, when did he turn into a kid and not a baby? He's adorable. Don't feel guilty at all, he weaned because he was ready. Now you don't have to worry about your boobs at BlogHer. See? Bright side.

Keely said...

Really? I would think that lots of still-breastfeeding kids have 'loveys', but maybe I'm just saying that because X will ask for comfort from his Pooh bear before he'll aske ME.

Miles is so damn cute.