Tuesday, June 22, 2010

RTT: The delicious, the disgusting, and the dentist

Tuesday, Random Tuesday.
randomtuesday

* My mother-in-law brought over these three beautiful zucchini from her garden last week when she picked up Oscar for a sleep over.  I love, love, love zucchini, especially when it is fresh.  I love it grilled, sautéed, with pasta, whatever.  Even raw with dip.  I wanted to do something different with it so I made Curried Zucchini Soup and it was FANTASTIC.  You just sauté and onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and one table spoon of kosher salt; add 2 cloves of minced garlic and 2 teaspoons of curry powder (I used hot curry powder) and cook until fragrant (like one minute.)  They you toss in on baking potato cut into one inch chunks and 3 medium or 2 large zucchini cut in to one inch slices; bring to a boil then simmer for 10-15 minutes until the veggies are tender.  Then you puree it in batches (don't fill the blender more than half way - took me three batches to puree the whole pot) and you can either serve it immediately or serve it chilled.  Add a hunk of crusty bread and that's a meal right there.  Delicious.

*Now that the weather is nice (well not this week; this week it's atrociously hot), Valentine spends a lot of her time out doors.  I let her in every hour or so to cool down and get a drink, but she really prefers it outside.  A couple of weeks ago, she was lying on our back porch and I noticed she was being swarmed by flies.  I felt so bad for her.  This almost never happens - we don't really have biting flies in our neck of the woods and Valentine is not particularly smelly.  I mean, she smells like a dog, but she's not putrid or anything.

Anyways, I opened the door to let her in and she reluctantly came inside.  And that's when I saw that there was something white and furry on the porch where Valentine had been lying.  Three somethings, really.  So, I looked a little closer.  Are you ready for this?  It was the HEAD of a white rabbit and it's two feet (you know, for luck.)  The body was gone, I'm assuming consumed by Valentine.

So, I almost vomited right there and I immediately called Nelson and told him he needed to get home ASAP because I'll dispose of dirty diapers and dog poop but I WILL NOT be handling a dismembered rabbit corpse.  And the thing is, I'd seen the dead rabbit in the yard earlier in the morning, but I couldn't go get it because I had the boys and bunny corpse disposal is just not a question-happy-three-year-old-friendly activity.  See, when Valentine catches a varmint and actually kills it, she usually juts looses interest.  Well, not this time. Disgusting.

*Oscar had his first visit with the dentist on Friday.  He has 20 clean, shiny teeth and he went home with a new yellow toothbrush sporting a mermaid and a clown fish.   I also had my teeth cleaned and have to go back for a filling.  And an extraction.  And a bridge.  Stupid teeth.  Here's my guy in the dentist chair, so proud:


*I finally bought my train ticket for BlogHer.  I'm really looking forward to the three and a half hour train ride to NYC all by my self.  I don't know if I should sleep or read or cry.  I might even bring a little DVD player so I can watch movies.  Or TrueBlood. There are just so many options.

*Last Thursday, my friends Jane and Pam came over with their little boys Xavier and Gideon and we all went up to the Farmer's Market and came home to have a lovely dinner of bread, pickles, green beans, salmon spread, cheese, and wine.  While us moms were inside enjoying our wine, Nelson was outside with all four boys.  This bigs (Oscar, Gideon, Xavier) were happily playing with the sand and water table on the side of the house while Miles William was practicing going down our front porch stairs on his behind.  When Miles got to the second to last stair, Nelson decided to peek around the corner and check on the bigs.  And Miles promptly fell off the stairs and onto his face.  The poor kid has been sporting a scraped face all week, though it looks much better today.

*Oscar's birthday party was a smashing success, including the monster truck birthday cake.  Hopefully I'll upload photos today and post some this week.  Prepare to be impressed.

*Does anyone want to design me a free business card to bring to BlogHer?  Come on, who's not looking for unpaid work theses days?  You know you want to.

Wow, that's kind of a lot of random for me.  Now, get thee to Keely's and visit more random players.

15 comments:

VandyJ said...

Poor Miles. Those things always happen the second you look the other direction.
Jealousd you ahve zucchini already. Ours are still just baby plants.

Michele R said...

What an adorable photo of Oscar in the dentist's chair!!! But wait--is that a white, furry bunny next to him???

Jan said...

That soup? Sounds GOOD.

And yeah - I'd take a pass on disposing of the bunny head too. Yikes!!!!

Julie from Momspective said...

I hit a bunny with my car once and cried for three days. I'd have freaked right out.

Ruth said...

Eww. I thought my son handling a still moving lizard tale was bad, bunny parts are worse.

Our dentist doesn't give out free toothbrushes anymore, not even to my child. Cheap bastards!

Happy RTT.

Barb said...

I have seen several little bunnies running around our bushes. Ginger (one of our dogs) keeps letting me know they are there and gives me that "There are snacks running around in the yard! Why aren't you letting me out!?!" look. But as of yet there have been no dead bunnies this year.
Happy Tuesday!

gretchen said...

Ewww, ewww, ewww. Dead bunny! You have my sympathies.

That Oscar is adorable!

Big Mama Cass said...

I wish I could go to BlogHer this year! A train ride sounds AWESOME! I would love that!

Sprite's Keeper said...

My terrier Harry is like that with lizards. I will yell and yell and yell for him to drop the poor (yet disgusting) reptile and he keeps it in his mouth. Blech! I end up leaving both Harry and his prisoner out on the porch until I can confirm he either let the captive go or swallowed the evidence.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I didn't think about taking a train to BlogHer - instead, I'm driving the 3-1/2 hours. :)

Oscar looks so happy and proud in the dentist chair! Can he give Princess Nagger pointers? She'll cry at the mention of the dentist.

I don't think I would have wanted to dispose of a dismembered bunny, either - I'd totally call the hubby to do that. ;)

I'd be happy to help you design a business card if you want!

RTT: Bugs, Wildlife and Dinosaurs

Casey said...

You're bringing business cards? Hmm, I hadn't planned on it. But I'm a loser.

The first thing outta your mouth should have been MIL picked up Oscar for a sleepover, WOOT, not "I love the zucchini". My parents take one kid maybe once every other month but never both and it's sad. Oh so sad. Not as sad as a dead rabbit though.

Heather said...

Rabbit remains...oh.my.gawd! Yes, that's definitely not in the job description for mom.

You're getting ready to get on a train to come into NYC...and I'm dreaming of hopping on one to get outta NYC!! Enjoy your kid free time...it will probably feel strange to not be tripping over toys or wiping little noses.

Happy Birthday to Miles...can't wait to see the monster truck cake pictures!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday to Oscar....I should have read my comment before hitting publish...sorry!

江婷 said...

期待你每一篇文章......................................................................

JessicaP said...

My dogs will eat anything they come across outside. They will kill just about anything they can catch after they mame it and play with it for a few minutes. I hear the kids screaming the dogs have.... insert small animal here... and I'm like WTF do you want me to do. They are very proud of this. Poor Miles! As soon as you turn your head somebody gets hurt. My kids are covered in scrapes and such. Brody burnt his leg on a 4 wheeler being a tool. Nothing a little bacitracin won't fix.