Monday, June 14, 2010

Three

Three years ago today, I was breathing through long, difficult contractions, waiting for the midwives to arrive.  I had been in labor for about seven hours.  I knew my little boy was going to be born that day, but I didn't know I had another 15 hours of labor ahead of me.

I can still remember the way it felt when I pushed Oscar out into my own hands, when the midwife said, "Jennifer!  Reach down here and catch your baby!"  And I did and he was a warm, slimy miracle.  I remember looking down at my (rather larger than I expected) crying baby and thinking I was going to burst because I was so filled with love in that moment.

I was amazed that day, and Oscar continues to amaze me each and every day.  He's so funny and clever and sensitive and daring and so gorgeous he takes my breath away.  He is one of the best things I've ever done and I am so, so proud of him.  He has taught me so much and open my heart in so many ways.  Oscar made me Momma.  I am so grateful for him and I love him so very much.

Big love to my big boy on his third birthday.  Love you, buddy.




14 comments:

Michele said...

Happy Birthday Oscar!

You are officially leaving toddlerhood and entering the preschool set. Yay you!

Frogs in my formula said...

Hooray for three! Happy birthday. Your slimy miracle is so cute!

Michele R said...

Happy birthday! And yeah to you too! You birthed like you live your life and that is awesome.

Stacie said...

Happy Birthday Oscar!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Oscar! Congrats, Jenni, on three wonderful years of parenthood.

thebearandroo said...

Happy birthday Oscar!

And happy birth day to you, Jenni!

Aliceson said...

Every year when my oldest has a birthday I get all sentimental too...

Happy Birthday Oscar! Big plans for the big day?

Becky said...

Happy Birthday to Oscar! I love all those pics, especially the teeny tiny one.

And I am way totally impressed that you birthed him into your own hands.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Happy birthday Oscar! Welcome to the preschool edition!

VandyJ said...

Happy Birthday Oscar! Three years is awesome!

Mrsbear said...

Three!! Goes by quick as a sneeze, doesn't it? Hope he enjoyed a fantastic birthday.

Jan said...

I was so very busy yesterday and earlier today, that I didn't get to make my bloggy rounds and missed this wonderful event.

Happy birthday, darling boy. I hope you had a lovely, lovely day.

Stimey said...

What a perfect way to describe a newborn: a warm, slimy miracle. I love it!

Happy Birthday, Oscar!

Casey said...

Happy birthday, little man. He is absolutely adorable! I hope you have better luck with 3 than I am. ;)