Monday, July 12, 2010

Conversations with a Preschooler, #6: You suck

Scene: Oscarelli family living room.  Jenni is in the kitchen preparing dinner.  Oscar, Miles, and Nelson have just finished watching Hero of the Rails for maybe the 300th time.  They are watching the sing-a-long video at the end of the movie.  Nelson is singing and dancing with great vigor, trying to get the boys involved.


Nelson [singing, dancing]: Lets's goooo, Thomas!  Thomas is number one!

Oscar: ...

Miles [singing, dancing]: La la la la! Choo-choo!

Song reaches instrumental break; Nelson stops singing for the moment.


Oscar: That's NOT going to work, Dada.  That's not going to work.

Nelson: What, my singing?

Oscar: Yeah.  That's not going to work.

9 comments:

VandyJ said...

Turbo went throughthat stage--he finally lets Nick sing again. He's seven. I don't think it's going to last very long.

Jan said...

Ah, I see we've reached the "brutally honest" stage. It lasts (in regards to their attitude towards parents, anyway) until they're around 30.

Michele said...

Oscar was so nice about it. He could have told his daddy that his singing was bad. There's a big difference between "that's not going to work" and "Dad, you sing like a rhino".

Kat said...

*snort* !!!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Sprite does that with me all the time. Last time I tried singing with her, she shushed me by putting her fingers over my mouth and said, "use our LISTENING ears please".

Mrsbear said...

That preschooler honesty can sting just a little. It helps to have thick skin.

Frogs in my formula said...

Hah! I was having flashbacks to my own living room. They're two they're four they're six they're eight...

Sometimes I wake up humming that damn song.

Keely said...

Heh. Any time I sing or dance, Xander says firmly, "NO singing, Mommy!"

...I didn't really think I was THAT bad.

Heather said...

So funny, the only thing that would make that funnier is if you posted a video of Nelson dancing around singing. It's scary to think we start being un-cool already, I was hoping that didn't happen until the pre-teen years.