Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The end of days

When I returned from BlogHer a week and a half ago, Nelson informed me that he had a HUGE report due at work on August 16 and a presentation based on the report due on August 17 A gigantic piece of work, a massive project, one that was going to require all of his attentions for the next week.

I was hoping to ease back into my home routine, but clearly that was not going to happen.  Nelson did a good job keeping the boys alive and entertained and the house cleaners came while I was gone, but the laundry was frightfully behind.  Frightfully.

But, well, none of that mattered.  Nelson has been working 23 hours days (really) for the last week, and I've been working 19 to keep on top of everything around here.  I was exhausted from my trip; overwhelmed by the neediness of my boys when I returned; and doing marathon laundry all week (still nowhere near done.)

Then, on Thursday Oscar woke up telling me his tummy hurt.  By Friday, the scene was not good.  And is still not good.  Let me just say, I've had my kids' baby poop on me numerous times and I think it's pretty gross.  You know what is even more gross?  I'm not going to tell you.  You can use your imaginations.  Thankfully, I've been able to keep Oscar's illness isolated to Oscar with frequent hand washings and lots of bleach.

So, you know, I'm tired.  I mean, I'm always tired, but this week exceptionally so.

But, as evening falls around these parts tonight, Oscar is actually on the mend as evidence both by the destruction of my home and the contents of the potty.  Destruction cleaned up by my husband.  Right now my husband is upstairs bathing our two boys and putting them to bed.

I'm sitting here.  Blogging.  Reading.  Relaxing.  After dinner with my husband, where we hand an  actual conversation.  With words and stuff.

For the next four days, Nelson will be home. Puttering around the house; doing minor repairs; making pancakes; playing with our boys; sleeping for more than three consecutive hours; hanging at home with Miles when I take Oscar to playgroup; giving me the afternoon off on Friday so I can go meet this fantastic lady.

Isn't it crazy how you can miss someone when they are sitting in the same room?

I'm so glad to have my husband back.

11 comments:

Michele said...

I'm glad to hear that Oscar is on the mend and that Nelson is not working so hard. I am so jealous that you get to meet Jen. Say hi for me.

Mrsbear said...

I'm sure Friday will make up for it all. Well, maybe not for getting poop directly on your person, you never truly get over that.

Glad the husband is back and Oscar's tummy is better. Enjoy your bloggy meet-up.

Frogs in my formula said...

Sorry to hear about all the poop. Glad everyone is on the mend and you get some QT with your man!

Jan said...

Awwww, sweetie - I'm so glad Oscar is feeling destructive again and that your lives are getting somewhat back to normal.

Give Jen a great big hug from me.

Keely said...

That's...poopy. Glad Oscar is feeling better.

I miss my hubby, too.

Casey said...

Aww, Nelson is a keeper. I get you, Jamie works from home and sometimes he actually has to reaaaaaaallly work and he's out of commission and we miss him. And he's going to VA in a couple of weeks for work and it's going to suck balls.

Tell Jen I said hello. She's a hoot, we met in person about a year ago.

Susanica said...

I hope you guys have a really great weekend Jenni. You both (well actually all 4 of you) deserve it!-Monica

Patty O. said...

I hope everyone stays healthy. And I know what you mean about having a terrific husband. Sounds like you deserve it, though.

And have a blast with Sprite's Keeper. I'm jealous!

Captain Dumbass said...

Tummy troubles are the worst. Well, the smelliest and grossest. Hopefully your weekend will be better.

gretchen said...

Poor Oscar. And, well, poor you. I know how you feel. I still haven't recovered from our trip east. I think I may get a handle on our house again by mid-September. Ugh!

dubai apartments said...

Ah you are so lucky that you get him back. I am still facing this problem. My husband is busy in his office and I am also busy with my work. We hardly get time to spend together in weekends.. :(