Wednesday, August 11, 2010

On if by land, two if by sea

Oscar and Danny were playing in the pass through the other day.  Monday.  Suddenly I hear Oscar saying, "Danny, let me smell your butt," and I could just barely see them through one of the four doorways and Oscar was indeed sniffing Danny's bottom.  It seemed Danny had had a little accident and Oscar was checking for proof.  When I hollered in to see what was going on Oscar replied, "I think Danny has to poop."

This time last year I was caring for three (GAH!) small children in diapers, so I had to do the sniff test a lot since it wasn't always obvious who had done what in their pants. This is likely where Oscar has learned his technique. Also because I ask him pretty regularly to "check" to see if Miles has a dirty diaper, since Miles is mostly interested in running from me when his bum is foul and occupying whatever space Oscar is occupying. So, it works.

Anyways, this sniff test is not the first time Oscar has informed me of another child's bowel movements.  Earlier this spring, when he and Danny were playing my the lilac bushes Oscar dashed over to tell me that Danny had pooped!  Also, once in late winter, when we were at the playground and he and Danny were on the tall play structure, "Momma! Danny pooooooped!"  Oscar announced.

Just this morning, the three big boys were playing at the toy kitchen (located in the dining room) and Oscar came running into the living room, "Momma, Miles pooped in his diaper." And Miles had indeed pooped in his diaper.

Then it occurred to me: Oscar has become the Paul Revere of poopy diapers.  He is ready to ride and spread the alarm, my friends. The poopy diapers are coming! The poopy diapers are coming!  His bravery knows no bounds.  He will risk life and limb, stumbling through cars and dinosaurs and trains to alert me to the coming threat! "Prepare the wipes and changing pad, Momma!  Get ready for battle!  The poopy diapers are coming!"

He's such a hero.  I'm sure Maya Angelou is penning a poem in his honor right now.  I am so proud.

12 comments:

Michele R said...

Maybe he had to inform Hubs on the state of the diaper this way while you were away??
I remember mine being so fascinated with dogs smelling each others' butts.

Michele said...

If Maya isn't I wonder if we could convince Jen from Sprite's Keeper to create an epic. She's one of the best poetess' I know.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Aw, thanks, Michele! Now I have a lot to live up to.
Let's see...
Extra! Extra! Oscar has the scoop,
If you wanna know who owns the poop!
There's no level low enough he wouldn't stoop,
To tell you which Pampers are beginning to droop!
(I'd think about it more, but I'm working right now.)
:-)

Michele said...

Jen: I knew we could count on you. You rawked that poem.

Frogs in my formula said...

He's a man who is on top of things. Hah!

Keely said...

The revolutionary of feces. I think kids just like ratting each other out!

thebearandroo said...

Ha! I love how you call him the Paul Revere of Poop. Way to go, Oscar :D

Casey said...

I'm sure that skill has got to come in handy somewhere, right? Not sure where yet but I'll think of it.

Love Jen's poem. Ha!

Captain Dumbass said...

You are a lucky woman.

Kate said...

I found your site from Sprite’s Keeper. I love it. I’m going to poke around a little bit, but don’t worry I’ll put everything back where I found it!!

Mrsbear said...

That poop radar of his could save lives! Or at least butts from diaper rash.

gretchen said...

You know he's just so terribly proud of his startling ability to sniff out the culprit. He probably considers it something of a duty, a gift he must share with the world.