Friday, September 10, 2010

Fall

On Wednesday we had a high of 96 degrees and today I woke up and the outdoor thermometer read 58.  The projected high here today in DC is a balmy 77 degrees.  And with that, we have fall.  That's just always how it is here.  It goes from blazing hot to nearly chilly overnight.

I love this time of year.  I know it is fall and the trees are shedding leaves and the flower all all dead, but fall has just always felt like new beginnings to me.  I don't know if it's the bright autumnal colors, or the refreshingly crisp air, or what.  Fall just feels to me like a fresh start.

The next two and a half or three months are among my favorites.  The mid-Atlantic has such a lovely fall.  This weekend, I'll spend time sorting fall cloths and packing away the summer stuff.  I'll leave out a couple of pairs of shorts and the T-Shirts until at least October (we get the occasional fall heat wave; little reminders of summer), but today I'll begin sorting and washing and tallying.

Tomorrow my friend Pam and I will go shopping for socks and undershirts for our boys, and whatever else we need to round out their wardrobes.  I already got Oscar a few pairs of sweatpants and some cute shirts from Target, and I have some hand-me-downs for him from my friend Suzanne's son Ben; Miles will be fully in Oscar clothing from last fall and the fall before (though I can't see to find the pajamas or the winter coats.)

In the coming weekends we'll take the boys apple picking; on autumnal hikes and picnics; to the playground on cool, crisp mornings.  Then it will be onto Halloween costumes and pumpkin picking.  I'll dress the boys in hooded sweatshirts, little jeans, and impossibly cute Chuck Taylors.  They will play in the leaves.  They will drink apple cider and hot coco.  We'll bake spice and molasses cookies and apple pies and gingerbread cupcakes.

I love all of these fall rituals and traditions.  I love this time of year.  Love it.

10 comments:

Strawberry said...

I love Fall, and that last paragraph made me love it even more!

VandyJ said...

Fall is the best--especially indian summer--our warm spell after the first few frosts. I'm also kind of looking forward to the first snow. And Halloween.

Jan said...

I love fall, too, but it's bittersweet for me, because I hate winter up here so much. Spring is my favorite season.

Fall will REALLY be your favorite season in 5 or 6 years because it will mean BACK TO SCHOOL. It's every Mom's REAL New Year.

Heidi said...

I'm with Jan - Ted just started kindergarten this week and, with the weather a cloudy 65, it feels very fall.

Oh happy days!

Michele said...

*sniff* I miss fall.

Keely said...

I love Fall, when it appears at FALL time. This year, it showed up 3 weeks ago and it's moving straight to winter. Not looking promising for pumpkins.

Why the hecks do I live here again?

Michele R said...

Oh! How I loved dressing little boys in fall clothes!
I would kill to do a winery tour in VA this time of year!
I don't know how I went from little boys to wine tours but fall makes me happy too!

gretchen said...

I am so envious that you have a REAL fall there. Here we have a sort of pseudo fall. Then in November it gets hot again. Then in January it gets cold, then hot again. It's very weird. Anyway, I miss that day you're talking about when suddenly everything just chills out, and you get to pull out the sweaters. Woohoo!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Sounds absolutely lovely. We're still dealing with the 90's down here, but the evenings are thankfully getting cooler.

Heather said...

Me too, I love Fall! Ever since I was a kid, my mother & grandmother would always take us apple picking every Fall and I can't wait to carry on the tradition with my own kids! There's just something so warm & cozy about this time of the year.