Tuesday, September 28, 2010

RTT: A very random Tuesday

Tuesday.  It always comes down to Tuesday.

randomtuesday

*I'm sure you are all anxiously awaiting a preschool drop off update, but since Oscar only goes on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, you're going to have to wait another day.  I actually think this is part of the problem, that he has four days off between school.  He gets used to NOT going and then he has to go again.  There is really nothing I can do about that, since that is just the schedule for the 3s at his school.

*I've been a little anxious about folding laundry since the ambush.  The clean laundry is starting to pile up.

*My laptop battery died, so I've been using my mom's tiny little Dell Mini and as a result my fingers are terribly cramped.  And the punctuation keys are in the wrong places, so it's confusing.  My new battery hasn't even shipped yet, so I am a bit concerned that I'm going to suffer a permanent finger deformity from typing on this teensy, tiny keyboard.  But, the Mini is pink so that's fun.

*My children are finally over the worst and most lingering cold in the world and now I have it.  Well, they are still coughing.  Like I said, this one lingers.

*I'm reading three books right now.  Three! The Happiness Project* by Gretchen Rubin; Amy and Isabelle: A novel* by  Elizabeth Strout; and NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children* by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman.  So, I want to say I don't really like The Happiness Project, but I'm feeling inspired to clear my clutter, clean my closets, and be a better friend and spouse so even if I think I'm not enjoying it, it is obviously having an effect on me.  Amy and Isabelle is great.  Not as great as Olive Kitteridge, but I would still highly recommend it.  And Nurture Shock I love.  It is just my kind of think though; I like books about parenting and books based on scientific research, so it combines two of my favorite things, and I think it is well written in a way that makes it accessible.  My friend Jane, who is an elementary school teacher recommended it to me, so I knew it would be good.  She's one of those friends that always has good book recs.

*I made these whole wheat apple muffins this morning for breakfast and they were a hit.  So much so that Nelson call me on his way into work to tell me how much he enjoyed them.  Very yummy and healthy. Made me feel a little better about the terrible insomnia that woke me up early and inspired me to bake them at 6AM.

*Oscar is becoming quite the library enthusiast, hence my reading so many books.  We go once sometimes twice a week.  He has his own library card and it is terribly cute.  I tend to do a lot of reserving online in advance of our visits, but I will also let him run around a pick a few books he likes.  Miles rips them, and I feel horrible, but I noticed that many of the children's books we check out have repaired tears, so I guess torn books are just par for the course.

*Miles has taken to randomly shouting out "All aboard train!" and it is heartbreaking. He sounds like a little train conductor with a speech impediment.

*Wall art has achieved new heights in my home.  I've got a couple of regular Picasso's on my hands.  I can't decide if it is better to wash the art as it is created or once a week.

*Rain, rain go away.  My children are making me nuts and need to go outside to play.

That's all I got, my lovely little chickens.  Be a good sport and visit Keely and a few of the other RTT players.

*Disclosure: Book links go to my Amazon Associate's account and should you click and purchase I will get a (teeny, tiny) cut.

12 comments:

Kat said...

I officially have a cold. I just went out to buy my battle gear (I mean supplies)...DayQuil, Afrin, one of those Vick's Inhalers and Kleenex. Bring it on, cold, bring it on.

Michele said...

Miles is at the book ripping stage. Librarians are use to it, they just get the clerks to tape them up.

Have you thought to get a really cheap keyboard to plug into the Mini? Then at least you'll be able to fold laundry after you mentally get over the ambush

VandyJ said...

Bruiser was generous with his germs and I have a mild cold now. Sharing is all well and good but really, I would rather he kept this one to himself.
ANd I would have horror thoughts and post trauma stress after an ambush like that too. THe laundry can fend for itself unless someone is there to fight for me. I completely get it.

kel said...

The colds are making their way around with my best friends and their kids so it's only a matter of time before we get hit! damn kids and their germs.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I will definitely be making those muffins, thank you!
I wonder though, can I substitute a cup of applesauce instead of apples?

Always Home and Uncool said...

WE have a round of strep a few weeks back. Sanitize everything -- even your tiara!

FoN said...

You really got up and baked muffins at 6 AM? Don't tell my husband you did that.

Jan said...

I feel for you and the insomnia, I really do. I got to work yesterday and our salesman said, "You had trouble sleeping again last night!" Work emails sent at 2 a.m. tend to tip people off.

And you've made me want muffins.

What Michele said about the cheap keyboard - make sure it's USB.

Andrea said...

I'm going to check out the books. I'm looking for a good read for vacation next week. Anything else you can recommend?

Good luck with the artists. My kids have yet to ever do that. Pretty I just guaranteed they will...meh.

I'm sure they are scared mommy will flip the freak out though if they did, so hopefully that helps.

Captain Dumbass said...

Do you have sliding glass doors in your house? Crayola's got these window crayons that are awesome, and they wash off really easy.

Keely said...

I have to wash it off right away, or my kid gets the idea that it's "ok". I learned that by leaving it on the wall downstairs for months (it didn't happen on my watch so I didn't really feel responsible for cleaning it up).

I have the same problem with X getting 'used' to being home. Mostly he hates being rushed in the morning.

Sandra said...

You read, you bake, you blog...ahem...you're making the rest of us feel bad! Smile! It means you are a superior human being!