Tuesday, September 7, 2010

RTT: I'm so tired I forgot a title

Yeah, so I realize it's been awhile.  There have been many happenings in these parts, so I'll update you RTT style.
randomtuesday
*Thanks to Hurricane Earl, we were ousted from our lovely Outer Banks vacation three days early.  And it was such an amazing vacation this year.  A real bummer, but we are glad we were able to spend some time there this year, and are already looking forward to next year.

*Shortly after returning, I received the very sad news that the mother of one of my very dearest friends had  passed away.  Another friend from DC and I hopped a plane to central Illinois on Friday so we could spend a few days with her.  I will not tell her story here as it is not mine to tell, but I will say that my friend's mom was a very, very special woman who seemed to touch the lives of everyone she met.  I'm glad to be among those she touched, and I know her loss is deeply felt by many people, and I wish her family love and peace as they grieve this great woman.

*Things there are a lot of in central Illinois: Corn fields; liquor stores; hair salons; Steak'n'Shakes; wind farms; polite people.

*Oscar starts preschool tomorrow.  Cue sobbing.  No, I kid.  We are both excited.  He's wearing his new monster truck shirt and his star shoes.  It's gonna be awesome.  Conversation about preschool we had this AM:

Jenni: Do you know what tomorrow is?
Oscar: No, what?
Jenni: Your first day of school!
Oscar: Oh, yeah! I'm going to school tomorrow with my Mom and Dad.
Jenni: Well, we will drop you off, but we won't stay at school.  You'll be there will all of your school friends.
Oscar: But I can't go to school without a grown up!
Jenni: Your teachers will be there.  They are grown ups.  Remember your teachers?  They sent you a letter and their picture.
Oscar:  Oh, yeah.  I'm going to go to school and my teachers will be the grow ups and you will leave me there.
Jenni: Right, but then I'll come get you.  Do you know why?
Oscar: Why?
Jenni: Because your mine!
Oscar: And your mine!

*So, we got this new monster truck shirt when we visited the home of Gravedigger, one of the most bad ass monster trucks on four wheels.  I'm gonna do a little photo montage of our visit later this week, or possibly next week.  It was pretty amazing.  And expensive.  I'll tell ya, those Gravedigger folks know how to turn a buck.

*This summer seems to have been the season of eating shitty and gaining 10lbs so it's back to Weight Watchers for me.

I'm still recovering from my whirlwind trip to central Illinois, so that's all I can push out today.  More Random at Keely's.

11 comments:

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Sorry you had to be ousted from your Outer Banks vacation early - glad you at least got to enjoy some time there!

So sorry about your friends mother. (HUGZ!)

Good luck with Oscar's first day of school!! Time flies by way too fast, doesn't it?

RTT: Old Wine, Grapes, Winemaking, Noisy Neighbors

Andrea said...

You have to post pictures of his first day! How exciting. I remember that with my first...the second kid I unclipped her hands from my leg and said "here you go!!"

No I kid.

(Not really.)

Happy RTT!

VandyJ said...

Hope Oscar does great his first day (and all the ones to follow).
That was a cute conversation you two had.
We have liquor store--drive up ones, I kid you not.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Yay for Oscar! (And yay for Jenni!)
Sorry for Miles though.
(And really sorry about your friend's mom. She sounds like a wonderful lady.)

Sprite's Keeper said...

Yay for Oscar! (And yay for Jenni!)
Sorry for Miles though.
(And really sorry about your friend's mom. She sounds like a wonderful lady.)

Jan said...

I'm so sorry for your friend and her loss.

I LOVE the conversation with Oscar - you bet you're his! LOL What a sweetie.

rachel said...

Sorry to hear about your friend's mom....

On another note, I am in central IL, born and raised. I don't find too many nice people here in my city though! LOL Oh, and we DO have drive through liquor stores.... ;)

Michele said...

Sorry to hear about your friend's mom.

Oscar will have a great time. That little conversation was adorable. You'll have Miles all to yourself for a little while. What do you have planned?

Mrsbear said...

Hurricanes are such assholes.

AWWWW! First day. We need photo documentation. If you can snap a few through the tears. :( I still have a year before I send the youngest off. I'm pretty sure he'll be ready to go, I just don't know if I will.

Sorry to hear of your friend's mom passing.

Captain Dumbass said...

Gravedigger? My boys will be very excited to see that.

Keely said...

Hurricanes are so freakin' inconsiderate.

Sounds like a great holiday though!