Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What up, Tuesday?

Ugh.  U.G.H.

I made mistake last night of staying up late watching DVDs.  Both kids were in bed by 7:30, and Nelson is on travel, so I had the whole evening to myself.  I've been watching How I Met Your Mother.  My friend Kate lent me seasons one through three.  I love this show.  Do you watch it?  You should.  It's pretty much one of the funniest things on TV right now.

It was maybe 11PM and I was watching the last episode of Season One, Disc Two and who should wander down the stairs but Oscar.  The show was almost over so I set him up on the couch while I finished up.

I had been planning on going to bed at 11:30.  Now, let me just say that 11:30 is way to late for me to be going to bed.  I'm up by 5:30AM.  I need to be in bed by 10 at the latest.  However, I sleep terribly when Nelson is gone, so I stay up as late as possible, and then I read until the book physically falls on my face and then I go to bed.  I'm generally exhausted by the time he gets back, but if I don't max myself out, I'll stay up all night analyzing every creak and crack in my house (and there are a lot of them; our house is 92 years old and we have radiators) waiting for our alarm to go off.

So, around 11:30, I bring Oscar upstairs with me and he wants me to lie with him in his bed.  And I do, for about a half an hour.  Then, I get up to go to my bed, because I cannot sleep in his bed.  I don't have my alarm clock and he has all these animals and blankets and it just wasn't working for me.

When I got up to leave, Oscar started crying.  He wanted me to stay.  I told him he could come with me to my bed, and then he said no, because my room was too scary.  He said Mr. Skull was in there and we had to leave the light on (WTF, Mr. Skull?  Thanks, Oscar.)  We negotiated that I would bring his night light in and that would be good enough.

Well, surprise, surprise it was NOT good enough and when we got in there he melted down because my room was so scary.  I mean, it is pretty dark in there, I'm not going to lie, but I was right there with him.  Then, I melted down because I was exhausted and begged him to please, please, please just go to sleep.  He quieted down and I think I fell asleep like two seconds later.

I was woken what I though was five seconds later by Miles crying.  In reality it was an hour later.  So I fetched Miles and all of his blankets and bunnies and brought them to my room, where he proceeded to toss and turn for a flipping HOUR.

He was awake and crying again at around 4:30.  Oscar woke up and told me I needed to bring Miles back to his crib.  I knew that wasn't going to work because I was going to be up for the day in just a few minutes.  Both boys settled down just as my alarm went off.

Then, Valentine started nudging my hand because she wanted to go out.  And Oscar started making elephant trumpets.  And Miles started blowing raspberries on my stomach and yelling "El fan!" every time Oscar trumpeted.  Okay, that part was pretty cute.

The good part of all of this, is that the boys were in a great mood and played well while I showered and got dressed, and both got dressed without a fight.  The bad part is that I got no laundry or dishes done this morning and it's 9AM and I still haven't had my breakfast and am totally exhausted.  But, I have played monster trucks, been a pretend customer at Oscar's store, and attended a tea party with Miles William.  I also got two extra hours of nose-wiping in today.

Anyway, so that's my Tuesday.  What's new with you?

12 comments:

Keely said...

It is almost 8 here and Xander is still sleeping, because he stayed up until almost 10:30 (!) last night.

I'm tempted to go back to bed, but then he'd wake up for sure.

VandyJ said...

Those nights where all you want to do is go to sleep and the kids think nothing of being up all night are rough. Hope Nelson gets back soon.

Kate said...

I'm glad you're enjoying HIMYM! I'm watching the fifth season now...I don't have the fourth season DVDs but you're welcome to the fifth when I'm done with them.

If you don't already watch The Big Bang Theory you should check that one out too. I've (surprise, surprise) got those DVDs, too.

Patty O. said...

That totally sucks! It's so hard to deal with kids when you are sleep deprived, but it makes it worse when you have no reinforcements coming to help you out. Good luck on getting more sleep tonight!

Michele said...

I could never sleep when JR was away when the kids were young. Now, that everyone is older I sleep much better when either one of us is away.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I know my Tuesday wasn't as hard as yours, but I'm pretty damn sure yours was happier. :-)

Becky said...

Oh that is craziness. I hope you're asleep as I write this! Nighttime parenting is not my strength.

We were up at 3am with a barfing Hank. Then he kindly slept until 9, when I fed him a banana (he said he was hungry!) and he barfed it up again. Luckily, watching a kid throw up a banana is really not that gross. And it was the kind of stomach bug where the kid feels totally fine except when they're actually vomiting.

By tonight he was fine.

Since I know you and everyone wanted to hear all about my child's GI tract.

Rest up!

Captain Dumbass said...

It's now 9:05pm and I've been in Liam's room 62 times and taken away almost every single stuffed animal he has. I haven't watched a damn thing tonight and it doesn't look like I will.

Mr. Skull?

Amy said...

Mr Skull scares me too. Oh man, have I ever had nights like that! Jason is away right now and I'm like you--I have to stay up till I'm collapsing from exhaustion or else I'll lay awake and freak myself out.

Bless your heart! I hope tonight goes a lot better.

tulpen said...

I wish I could watch more of 'How I Met Your Mother' 'cause I have a crush on that HAWT gay Neil Patrick Harris. HAWT!!!!

And my Tuesday was no better...kids all day and crazy old people all night.

Andrea said...

Eek ack. I hate not sleeping. I'm a chronic insomnia candidate and always the night I can totally sleep is inevitably the night Chick is up coughing or something. Always.

I can never watch anything creepy before bed (or even think creepy thoughts) or I will either lay awake thinking about it all night or dream about. I'm not entirely sure which is worse.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

All I can say is it gets easier with age!