Tuesday, November 16, 2010

FML, really? REALLY?

Warning: Gratuitous use of the "F" word below.


There is something going on in the world of texting and Facebook updating that I feel the need to address.  The over use of the acronyms FML (Fuck my Life) and  FTW (Fuck the World) in texting and status updates has got to stop.  For those not in the know, FML and FTW are exclamations placed at the end of a status update or text message to express a person's frustration and/or anger at a specific occurrence or situation. The exclamations are often meant to be sarcastic but my argument is that these exclamations are ridiculous, over the top, and irritating and as this is my blog, I am correct in this argument.  Let me convince you.

I mean, fuck your life because you have a lot of laundry?  Really?  Or because your kids are being jerks or you have  flat tire?  Your whole entire life?  Just fuck it?  The whole thing?  Fuck the world because there is a lot of traffic?  Because you received poor customer service?  The entire planet should just go fuck itself because of your individual lousy circumstances?  Isn't that just a little bit selfish?  I just feel like fucking your whole life or the entire world is pretty drastic and people often say them for pretty, basic, regular everyday situations.

Yes lots of laundry and misbehaving children suck, but your life is really not so terrible because these situations exist.  I mean you have children who you love and clothing to wear, right?  Score!  Or bad drivers and jerky customer service reps - yeah, they suck, but they really aren't worthy of fucking the WHOLE WORLD are they?  You have means to travel and money to buy things.  That doesn't sound so bad to me.  Like, maybe if you lost all your limbs or something, then you could say "I have no arms and legs.  FML!"  Or even, "My wife just left me, FML!" But even then you are still ALIVE and could maybe get prosthetics or something, and if your wife left you maybe you will find a better wife next time because this sea, it has lots of fish.

And if you are going to say "Fuck the world" the circumstances should be pretty extreme, like "Nuclear proliferation is eventually going to kill everyone.  FTW!" or "This AIDS pandemic is really killing a lot of people.  FTW!"  or "One day the sun is going to go all supernova on our asses and then it's 'Bye-bye planet Earth!' FTW!"  These are truly serious situations in which the world may indeed be fucked.

I just think we should stop being so dramatic with our texting/status updating, okay America?   So, instead of typing FML when you get a flat tire in the rain or you get stuck in traffic, maybe type, MLSRN (My Luck Sucks Right Now) or, TCRBGBFM (Things Could Really Be Going Better For Me), or even the more optimistic MDCOGB (My Day Can Only Get Better.)

Now, if the situation is a little more extreme, like you have been diagnosed with a serious disease, or a tree falls on your house, you can use stronger language.  I suggest, TUIRSWMT (The Universe is Really Screwing with Me Today) or perhaps DWCIGAB (Dear World Can I Get a Break) or WAYKMWTC (World, Are You Kidding Me With This Crap.)

I think we should all try to incorporate my new acronyms into popular texting vernacular.  Together we can make a difference and end the use of overly dramatic acronyms in texts and status updates.  

17 comments:

Erin said...

oh my gosh, this is the best post! i have that same reaction every time i see that freaking acronym. i just want to reply "REALLY? REALLY? FML, REALLY?"

i hear you! and would walk the streets of the internet with my posterboard protesting right alongside you.

Strawberry said...

Um. I may be wrong, but I've always known FTW to mean For The Win! http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ftw
I guess sometimes it means the other thing, too, but I haven't seen it used that way.

VandyJ said...

I had not seen that one--but then, I'm not a texter. I do agree with you, exaggeration is getting a bit over used in today's society.
If I texted, I'd help spread the word, or the new acronyms, either way.

Keely said...

Bwahhahhahhahah! You rock. I hate the "FML", too.

but FTW is a gaming acronym that means "For The Win", as far as I know. Usually sarcastically, though. So I can see how it could mean Fuck The World.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I've seen those acronyms before but had no idea that's what they meant!

Denny P 3 said...

I hadn't seen those texts but I agree with you 100% I did a blog a few weeks back that had to do with cussing(and how it relates to kids.) There is way too much cussing in our society and peoples attitudes need to really make a change, or else we will all be f*cked!

Krista said...

Well said! This annoys me to no end every time I see someone using it. Bravo!

jpooh said...

If I saw that someone had written "Nuclear proliferation is eventually going to kill everyone. FTW!" I do believe I'd worry about their ability to live in normal society - I was taught by my very computer-shorthand-literate sons that FTW means "For The Win."

So, if you see me on Facebook saying something like "Egg drop soup FTW" I'm not angry at my soup, egg or how it dropped.

Jan

Pamela said...

thumbs up.

Amanda said...

You totally nailed it! I recently googled to find out what FML meant and was actually really surprised when I found out. Pretty lame, if you ask me.

Veronica said...

I've always used FTW as 'for the win', I've not seen it used the other way. But then, I tend to ignore a lot of text speak in my stream.

Suga T said...

agree with the other posters who said FTW is usually used for "For the Win!" I have never seen it used for any other purpose, and it does originally come from the gaming community. -tl

Aliceson said...

ROFL! Just kidding! A lot of times, I don't get the acronyms people use. Some are just too long and I get confused about halfway in. I like your new ones though!

Just Another Lesbian said...

Just another thing on the list of things I can't do or say because somebody else doesn't like it. FML.

(Tee hee...I just HAD to, as one of the people who actually uses and thinks it's funny when other people use the term!)

:-) Mikki

JessicaP said...

OMG too funny. I have no problem with four letter words and tend to cuss like a sailor, just like my parents but I do agree that the 'FML' craze needs to stop. It is so lame! I can't help but roll my eyes when people use it. Instead of saying 'FML' you can just say fuck and be done with it, really. Your life isn't over because of some rain, or a spill on the carpet or whatever mundane thing has messed up your moment. Just say fuck, it is only one more letter and it means more, lol. * 'Fudge' may be used instead of 'fuck' if you find that too crass. It's only two more letters.

gretchen said...

Ack! I'm like Jen. I'd seen these and never knew what they meant. I'm such a batty little old woman.

aimeewrites said...

Hear hear! The FML trend annoys the heck out of me. FTW does, too, once I realize they're not saying "for the win!"