Tuesday, December 21, 2010

RTT: Confessions of a shopaholic

Time to get  your random on, kids.

randomtuesday

*My sister-in-law is coming up tonight and she and I are going to go to dinner and go shopping for stocking stuffers for the kids. I have to buy a couple for more toys (a couple of new monster trucks; a bucket of toy soliders for Oscar; a couple of hockey sticks for the boys); a gift for my brother-in-law (we know what we are getting, we just have to buy it); and gifts for my in-laws.  Yeah, I saved the easiest for last, right?  My father-in-law claims he wants nothing, just having us all home for Christmas is enough.  My husband will want to get him something, but I'm actually leaning towards having the boys make him something.  I think that people reach a certain age or point in their lives where "gifts" are not as important as gestures.  Becky mentioned this around her birthday a few weeks ago and I've long thought that was true.  We'll give them a handmade ornament from Oscar, a photo of the boys (in their dorky sweaters, which you'll see later this week), and I'm not sure what else.  Ideas are welcome.

*Apparently I let Oscar watch to much Canadian-made children's television, because between Dino Dan and Little Bear my three-and-a-half year old has develop quite the classic Canadian accent.  He's all rounded o's and flattened a's.  He might even be turning into a Canadian.  He's been talking about getting hockey sticks from Santa all week.  Oscar is already unfailingly polite.  The next thing you know, he'll be tacking "eh?" onto the ends of his sentences.

*Even though I'm basically done Christmas shopping, I can't seem to finish Christmas shopping.  Amazon keeps sending me these amazing deals and I feel the urge, no the NEED to buy more things.  Like, look at this deal on Mega Bloks:

Those Mega Bloks are 52% off!!  That is a major deal.  My kids already have a huge bag, but they love them so much, maybe I should get them another bag?  Or, is there a kid I can buy these for?  Will someone buy these blocks, PLEASE?  I feel like this deal is going to waste and it is killing me.

And, look at this Shake-and-Go Thomas for 33% off: 


Miles loves Thomas.  LOVES HIM.  He may need this Thomas right?  For get the fact that he just got this  Thomas Flashlight, or this quarry or this station for his birthday this weekend.  Forget all that.  This deal is just too good, right?  He NEEDS MORE TRAINS.

*Yes, we had Miles's birthday party this weekend and it was a fraking trainaplaooza.  The child was in seventh heaven and has been playing with his new trains non-stop.  When he got this Melissa & Doug Wooden Farm Train he nearly jumped out of his chair and I'm not even kidding.  He went airborne.  If I had uploaded the photos yet I'd show you.  I also made him a kick-ass train cake.  It was amazing.  It was a pretty great party.  Well, except for the part where Miles showed complete disinterest-boarding-on-hostility to any non-train related gift.  My sister-in-law got him this really cute rocket (and my kids LOVE rockets) and Miles looked at it was scorn and shoved it across the table.  He didn't even want to be near that thing (though he did play with it for a while yesterday.)

That's all my randomosity for today.  More RTT over at Keely's.  Canadian beer, too.

Disclaimer: All links provided got directly to my Amazon Associates account and should you choose to click through or purchase any of these items, I will receive financial compensation.

13 comments:

Michele said...

I'd love handmade gifts. I guess I've hit that age. That's okay. I consider it all art to be hung on my walls.

Miles is just 2 which makes it okay to disdain rockets over trains. Because next week it will the trains over rockets.

allstarme said...

My son used to love Thomas but I am kind of glad he's over that stage. I can't believe they have a character named "The Fat Conductor"!

Aliceson said...

I started doing something last year that I like to call 'Cut The Crap Christmas', basically anyone over the age of 18 does not get a store bought gift from us (even if they chose to buy one for us) rather they will receive a box of homemade goodies and maybe a handmade craft from the girls. All the shopping and spending and wrapping and delivering can be so overwhelming. And the best part, nobody complained! I think many people prefer consumables around this time of year. There is so much of everything already, something that can be enjoyed right away and used up is my kind of gift. After the holidays I always have a pile of "where do I put this" stuff. The kids still get store bought gifts and I too have been suckered in by some last minute online super-deals. I just had a mini-spree this morning at Gymboree's e-store. I couldn't pass up 50-70% off plus Gumbucks coupons for later!

Becky said...

I like the idea of consumables for adults. What about a bottle of champagne or a Christmassy plant that will still be around come January? I'm loving my Norfolk Island pine.

And I am totally with you on the "can't stop buying gifts because of the great deals." I need to stay away from Amazon. I've added a few people to my gift list because the perfect thing came along, cheap.

Sprite's Keeper said...

i HAVE definitely hit that age! I don't want anything for my birthday or the holidays anymore since I feel like I have everything I want. Weird, huh?

Julie from Momspective said...

My kids get so many toys from me doing reviews and their grandparents, I didn't need to buy a single thing. Santa asked my 5YO what he wants for Christmas and he said Twizzlers. I'm taking the Santa pics and framing them for their grandparents gifts. Thankfully I have a small family and there aren't any other children so I'm saving a ton of money lol. I hate shopping.

VandyJ said...

I still don't know what to get my mom. She has definitely hit that age where she has everything she needs and wants--mostly. So what do you get someone like that? Still thinking about that.
Merry Christmas.

Keely said...

We're all about the consumables in our family, too. My dad is a bit of a beer connoisseur (not just Canadian beer), so every year I go to one of those places that sells 'boutique' beer in individual bottles and buy him a whole bunch. Then I wrap them each individually and he gets a huge kick out of unwrapping them and deciding which one he wants to try first.

But, y'know, things the kids make are probably better for him :)

Amanda said...

Hurray for Canadian accents! (Just to prove that I'm a total linguistics nerd, it's called "Canadian Raising" because we emphasize the higher vowel in diphthongs like the ones in the words "out" and "height.")

Captain Dumbass said...

I don't know what the hell Amanda just said, but sure. Of course, you live closest to Ontario and they speak funny out there. I'm still smiling about Oscar's assimilation though.

Swistle said...

I can definitely picture getting to the point where I genuinely didn't want anything, and your solution to that (still giving him something to open, but something made by the kids) sounds perfect.

A book or a magazine subscription might work, too, if your husband still wants to buy him something. There isn't time for this idea for this Christmas, but one hit I've had with our parents is old magazines from their month/year of birth. I find them on eBay.

Swistle said...

Oh, and "bottle of top-shelf booze" is another good idea.

Michele R said...

We used to get my FIL gift cards to his favorite car wash place.
We took our boys to see Santa a few days ago even though they are 14, 12 and 10 and I saw a little guy like your two and it brought back such cute memories of their cute jeans and little worker boots. If you still need any gift ideas, or maybe for next year, hobby stores have some unique small things like those barrel of monkey's silly putty, a slinky and those balsa wood planes that are cheap and soar threw the house. Also when my boys were 3 and 4 they loved going to an open field with Hubs to shoot off a rocket.
Have a cozy, Merry Christmas!