Friday, January 21, 2011

Conversations with a Preschooler #7: Who's on first?

Oscar:  Mom?

Jenni: Yes?

Oscar: Which Toy Story is the one with the angry monkey.

Jenni: That's Toy Story 3

Oscar: And which one is the one with the birthday party?

Jenni: Toy Story 1

Oscar: And which one has the mean purple robot?

Jenni: Commander Zurg?

Oscar: Yes.

Jenni: That would be Toy Story 2.

Oscar: And which one do they meet?

Jenni: Does who meet?

Oscar: Buzz and Woody.

Jenni: Toy Story 1

Oscar: And which ones to do they meet Jesse and Bullseye?

Jenni: Toy Story 2

Oscar: And which one scares me?

Jenni: Toy Story 3 and Toy Story 2

Oscar: And which doesn't scare me?

Jenni: Toy Story 1.

Oscar: What one is Toy Story 1?

Jenni: The one with the birthday party.

Oscar: What one has the soldiers?

Jenni: They all have the soldiers.

Oscar: Which one has the monkey that scares me?

Jenni: I just told you Oscar. Toy Story 3.

Oscar: Oh, ha ha!Which one has Bullseye?

Jenni: Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3.

Oscar: And which one has the Etch-a-Sketch?

Jenni: Toy Story 1.

Oscar: And which one has Mr. Potato Head?

Jenni: All of them.

Oscar: And which one has the scary monkey?

Jenni: Oscar.  The third one.  Toy Story 3.

Oscar: I don't like that one.

Jenni: Yes you do, you just don't like the monkey.

Oscar: Which one scares me?

Jenni: Well, I guess they all scare you a little bit.  In the first one you don't like the toys in Sid's room; in the second one you don't like Woody's nightmare; and in the third one you don't like the monkey.

Oscar: And which one is my favorite one?

Jenni: You tell me.  Which one is your favorite one?

Oscar: Which one has the birthday party?

Jenni: This is ridiculous.

Oscar: Which one, Mom, which one?

Jenni:  The first one, Oscar, the first one.  Toy Story 1.

Oscar: Oh, yeah!  That's my favorite.

Jenni: I'm glad we got that figured out.

Oscar: But, which one has the monkey?

11 comments:

Keely said...

Awesome. It's like you're RIGHT IN MY HOUSE.

Except about 3/4 of the way down that paragraph, I would have said, "I don't know, which one?", to which I would have gotten the response, "Mom, which one...?"

It's like it's not really a conversation at all.

Michele said...

This made me smile in remembrance and because it no longer happens at my house. Now, it's "I told you I didn't like number 2 because of the monkey. Sheesh, you must be getting old."

Heidi said...

BAM! I heard your head explode way over here on the other coast.

Exhausting, isn't it?

Michele R said...

That is so adorable. He is going to love to read this when he is older.
P.S. I can just picture him telling someone how his mom knows everything in the world.

gretchen said...

Hehehe. Been there. Love it.

Krista said...

You have way more patience than I would have. Half way through the conversation, I would have said, "I don't know. Go ask Daddy."

Becky said...

High-larious!

My kids thought TS3 was too sad--the story of Lotsa Bear, or whatever his name is.

Me, I just want to know how Andy's mom has kept them financially afloat all these years, and is now sending him to college, apparently singlehandedly. Does she work?

Susanica said...

Pretend I just hit the "like" button!

Patty O. said...

The funny thing about this conversation is I have had a similar one with my son, only I am the one asking questions. Though Danny has only seen the first two a handful of times, he can tell me what happens in which one with no hesitation.

And that monkey IS scary, but I think the baby is horrifying. I swear I have nightmares about it.

Elizabeth said...

"Me, I just want to know how Andy's mom has kept them financially afloat all these years, and is now sending him to college, apparently singlehandedly. Does she work?"

(Cause I'm in an unmotherly frame of mind at the moment):
Ever seen Weeds? Think about it. Didn't they seem to be packing up awfully quickly in TS1?

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Hilarious! I've had my share of these conversations. :)