Thursday, February 17, 2011

I think I might be in trouble

So Nelson and I just finished watching this movie called City Island.  Netflix suspected I would like it and they were correct.  Well done, Netflix!  That movie choosing matrix is really working out well for you.

Anyways, we watch this movie and it's about this family and all of their secrets, but it's funny secrets, not dark creepy secrets, because the movie is a comedy.  Stuff like both parents still secretly smoke even though they promised each other they quit; their teenage son is a food fetishist; college daughter has secret breast implants.

The character of the teenage boy is played by Ezra Miller (he's like the next big thing or something) and he does a fantastic job.  The whole cast does, really.  The dad is played by Andy Garcia and the mom is played by Juliana Margulies.  It is a really well acted movie.

The teenage boy, you guys, Ezra Miller?  So funny.  He has this great sub plot that's very cute.  He's irreverent and obnoxious and thinks he's smarter than his parents and that he knows everything and just the stuff he says.  Such a ballsy little snot, you know?  And really, really funny.  He was definitely the funniest character in the movie.  I mean he'd intentionally say stuff that he knew was going to piss of his parents, just for the joy of pissing them off.  He knew just how to push their buttons.

It would have actually been funnier, had Nelson and I not be exchanging nervous glances and giggles every time this kid was in a scene because he was so a teenage boy.  I mean, we all know what a teenage boy is like.  They are cocky little know-it-all jerks with tempers that can flare at any minute.  All those hormones, man.  And it's funny because as adults we know how tragically misguided they are and that they will eventually come around, but eventually is not until sometime in their 20s, so, there are some years in there of teenage insanity.

The reason for the nervous glances was that Nelson and I both just realized that we are going to have a couple of those jerks living here, at the same time, in about ten years.  Two teenage boys.  TWO.  Mouthing off and telling us they don't care what we say and that we don't know anything and that we can't tell them what to do and strutting all over the place, trying to be men and flying into hormone induced rages over nothing, like missing T-shirts and who's turn it is to feed the dog.

Just thinking about it, my god.  It is not going to be cute.  I hope these next few years pass slowly.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh. Good luck with that! Look on the bright side, you could have a hormonal daughter as well - frankly I'm not looking forward to that too much either!

VandyJ said...

I will get the teeanage boys one after the other--mine are 5+ years apart. So my adventures with teanage boys will seem like reruns on the second go round. If that makes you feel any better. I suspect not. The only saving grace is that they are not going to be teenage girls--those scare me.

Keely said...

Yes, I'll meet you there. Although I think I'm better equipped for a teenage boy than for a teenage girl. Jerky arrogance over illogical histrionics, any day.

jpooh said...

You have less to worry about in that department than you might expect - teenage boys have NOTHING on teenage girls in the back-talking, smart-mouthed, know-it-all (to say nothing of hormonal) department.

Now - be prepared to take out a second mortgage to FEED them...

Jan

Captain Dumbass said...

Thanks, Jenni. I've been trying to not think about this at all. Or what trying to feed these land sharks is going to be like.

Heidi said...

I'm right there with you - two teenage boys in about ten years. The only thing that gets me through thinking about it is the knowledge that they will be easier than their sister! Come 2022, I will have three teenagers in the house, ages 13, 15 & 17. And a case of vodka in the garage.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Um, I'm going to be up against a teenage girl, a very ME version.
I'm afraid. And stocking up on the happy pills..

Michele said...

From what I hear this is not nearly as bad as having girls. I, of course, can not verify this fact. What I can tell you is that boys are not nearly as bad as they are portrayed in movies. You just have to be more of a smart ass than they are. They respect that sort of thing.

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michele R said...

I have 2 of them and in 2.5 years I will have 3 of them. There is not a lot of drama but there is a not the multi-tasking that girls can do such as knocking out an assignment in the car, etc. Buying clothes and shoes is really easy. Here there is $$ spent on sports teams and equipment. You do have to have a lot of food in the house starting at age 12 or 13. They get competitive. Since we are rather strict there is not a lot of mouthing off. Luckily Hubs was one of 4 boys so he understands it better then I do when they fuss at each other, etc.
I'm gonna check out that movie on Netflix!

Andrea said...

We are knee deep in a teenage boy here (and a pre-teen daughter--eeeeek!) and aside from being over the general moodiness, I am looking forward to the day when showers are not only desired, but revered. What part of "you smell!" is vague to them?

Susanica said...

You do have one thing going for you Jenni. Your sons have excellent role models in their dad and uncle and other family members. Yes, maybe they'll be jerky sometimes, but they are internalizing some pretty powerful stuff about how guys don't have to be crude and rude. We like that the men in our sons lives are pretty darn awesome too, but let's face it, lots of boys have some really jerky role models out there!

Casey said...

Gah. We can all send our teenagers to an island until they get past their teenage years, deal? The movie sounds good though, putting it in the queue to watch sometime in the next decade.

gretchen said...

I'm hoping I'm finished with menopause by the time Jude hits puberty, or we're gonna be in big trouble around here. But truly, I agree with Keely, better teenage boys than teenage girls. At least boys will always love their mothers.