Monday, February 28, 2011

Wonders never cease

One of my very best friends told me a week or so ago that if I trained for a 5K with her that she'd quit smoking.  Less than a week later, I bought my first pair of running shoes.

Now, I am one who is fond of saying that the only times I run are either to chase down my children from imminent peril or if I'm being chased so the idea that I would run for fun or health is mildly absurd.  However, as a former smoker myself I know it can be difficult to find the motivation and the will power to quit, and that support is key, so if me running a 5K with my friend  is what she needs to make the quitting happen, I decided that I could run 3 or so miles.

I walked/ran a little over 3 miles with my friend on Saturday, and I think that was too much for me out of the gate.  I'm going to start the Couch to 5K program this week, and I think it will better suit my completely nonathletic, borderline sedentary self's new fitness regime.

To say that I am nonathletic is an understatement.  Even when I was my thinnest and regularly attended a gym, I'd never have called my self fit or an exercise enthusiast.  I took years of dance classes, played softball in middle school, and there is still not an athletic or graceful bone in my body.  

Here's the truth: I'm clumsy, I'm uncoordinated, and, to be perfectly honest, I'm lazy and I hate to sweat.  If I'm to believe the hype, running regularly can actually help me to become more coordinated and it will certainly make me stronger.  I not going to kid myself into thinking that running is going make me less lazy or love sweating, but I am nothing if not a creature of habit and I do believe if I start running regularly, I think I'll keep running regularly.  And I do enjoy challenging myself.

Anyway, I'll let you know how this whole running thing goes.  

9 comments:

Andrea said...

Holy motivation Batman! Good for you and best of luck to both you and your friend!

VandyJ said...

Good luck. I was never a runner, but Nick is and he's really hoping to get back out there as soon as his heel is up to it.
While I could never run, I admire those who do.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Best of luck! Kick it and help your friend kick the habit!

Michele said...

I think you will surprise yourself. Good luck to you and your friend.

Amanda said...

I'm not a runner either. I have s short attention span and lack the ability to self-motivate, which is why martial arts is my exercise of choice. I need someone yelling at me or the threat of injury to go as hard as I am capable of.

I did run a 5K for breast cancer in October with zero training and did manage to run the whole thing but thought I was going to die in the process. I didn't, but it was several days before I had full use of my legs again.

Anyway, I admire those who run, and will be cheering you on - let us know how it goes!

Captain Dumbass said...

Good for you. I really need to get my ass off the couch. Then again, we did just get new sofas and they're really comfy.

My word verify was 'bonely.'

Hannah Hammonds said...

What an awesome friend! I am totally not a runner either but would run a 5K for the same reason! Good luck!

Keely said...

You know, I never considered myself a runner either - in fact I regularly said that I didn't trust people who ran for pleasure. But when I started doing it, I found I really enjoyed it, and I want to get back to doing it soon.

I mean, it has to be outside, not on a treadmill, and that option is only really available 4 months out of the year here. So it's sort of self-limiting, but you know.

Casey said...

Woooo hoooo, this is so cool! I'm glad you guys both have great motivation. Jamie has been running and was signed up to do his first 5k with my SIL but she canceled her trip so he backed out. Maybe I'll train and run with him. We can do a virtual blogger's 5k.

Proud of you!