Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I've got resolve

Well, hello there!  How are things? Look at us, entering our third month of 2011, can you even believe it?  

If you can, please think back.  Back to January 2011.  Two whole months ago, I decided that I would spend this year working towards bettering my health and set ten health-related goals.  Aren't you curious has to how I'm doing on my goals?  I knew you were.

1) Eat a more healthy, well balanced diet, including whole grains, lean proteins and limiting sugar and alcohol (yes, really)  You guys. I just ate whole-grain oatmeal with bananas for breakfast.  Last night?  Dinner was a baked chicken with roasted vegetables and for lunch today I'll have a salad with beets and blue cheese.  AND, I've lost more than 10lbs so far this year.  I'm kicking this goal's ass.

2) Go to the midwives to for my annual exam (the last time I went was when Miles was six weeks old, so that's two years now) My appointment is in three and a half weeks (it's hard to get in what with all the pregnant ladies and such.)

3) Get an eye exam (I have not been since I was pregnant with Oscar, four years ago) I'm nowhere with this. It's pretty low on my priority list.

4) Exercise regularly, starting with once a week and working myself up to four or five times a week by the end of the year (includes buying new work out clothes/shoes, YEAH!) Um, HELLO?!  I just started training for a 5K.  The training has me running/walking three times a week for 20-30 minutes each day, so I've got this, as long as I keep up with the training.

5) Obtain a primary care physician Done, though my first appointment is not until the beginning of May (first available, no kidding.)

6) Go to the dermatologist for a skin check Nada. Even lower than the eye exam.

7) Get regular hair cuts, at least every 12 weeks (this is a mental health goal) I did get my hair cut a week and a half ago, so it is yet to be seen if I'll get back in the allocated time.

8) Go to the dentist twice for cleanings/exams No, and I'm overdue.  I was going to find a new dentist, but now I'm thinking I'll just go to my old one for the time being.  I think my teeth are growing fur.

9) Get tooth #7 extracted and necessary restoration (I've needed to have this extraction done for more than three years) No.  See above dentist issue.

10) Laugh more Yes, absolutely.  I have felt happier, more at ease, and more relaxed these first two months to 2011 than I have in a long time.

So, that's my progress for 2011.  How about you? How is your year coming along?

10 comments:

Keely said...

I think the last one is the most important, and you're rocking it!

*makes mental note to return the dentists calls*

Casey said...

Hey, you're doing great at most things. Just make time for the doctors and dentists, m'kay? I never took care of myself (by getting checkups) until I met Jamie, dunno why. Now we're on a first name basis with all of our doctors, especially since I hit 30 and started falling apart.

VandyJ said...

We have a primary care doctor, finally. It's been good for us. I need to see the dentist, but hate, hate, hate getting my teeth cleaned. I need to do more exercise, but the weather is not good for going out side. Will work on this one when it gets nicer out, promise.
Good for you with the 5K. And haircuts do make a difference.

Michele said...

You are doing so well. Keep up the great work. See you in a little over a week.

Andrea said...

You're doing well considering we are less than sixty days into 2011! I'd say hop to the primary care provider, but my last complete physical left me feeling anything but complete! I was going to try to be more tolerant this year...which would be going a lot better if the rest of my world hadn't decided to try to be more insane!

gretchen said...

Good for you staying accountable! And the weight loss and 5K? Uber cool! We want pictures!

Captain Dumbass said...

Good work. And thanks for the dentist reminder.

Frogs in my formula said...

Wow, good for you. Nice job on the 10 pounds and marathon training!

Patty O. said...

Good for you! You're an inspiration!

Amy said...

Yay for you!! Wait, one can make goals AND follow through on them? You're such a grownup.