Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Long live love

I had to bring Oscar to the doctor's office late yesterday afternoon and as a result, I ended up traveling home in rush hour traffic.

Shortly after leaving the doctor's office, we were waiting on Connecticut Avenue to turn left onto East-West Highway.  This is a fairly busy intersection, so we had to wait several minutes to even get into the left hand turn lane, and then several more minutes to actually turn.

We crept slowly forward.  As we reached the light, I noticed that there were five men at the intersection, and two of them were holding signs that read, "Honk if you believe traditional marriage = 1 Man + 1 Woman."

I'm very pleased to say in the more than 10 minutes I was at that very busy intersection not one car honked for those fools.  NOT ONE.  I may or may not have made an obscene hand gesture as I pass these idiots.  Okay, I absolutely made an obscene hand gesture.

As I type this, Marriage Equality is being debated on the floor of the Maryland House of Delegates, where a very good friend of mine works (as a delegate). She recently posted on her feed that someone proposed an amendment to this bill that would restrict the adoption rights of same-sex couples (she spoke against this amendment), and another amendment limiting the "teaching" of same-sex marriage in the classroom (she spoke against this one as well, as it is entirely irrelevant.  And also stupid.)

I hear this, these amendments (and there will be more, so many more), people speaking out against gay marriage, and all I can think about is why these people are so full of fear and so full of hate for those who are different.  I see the Speaker Boehner trying to use congress to defend DOMA because the Department of Justice no longer will, such is his fear and hatred of those that are different and those that would challenge his world view.  I know I should feel sad for these people and their small minds and bitter hearts, but really I just feel angry.  And frustrated.  And tired of it.

This is not about your god vs. my god; this is not about someone redefining anyone's personal marriage - we define those for ourselves.  This is about equality and it is about love.  By this end of this week, it is my sincere hope that Maryland will be the sixth state in the United States to recognize marriage equality (seventh after DC) because it is the right thing, the fair thing, and it is time.

Long live love.

10 comments:

Suga T said...

As G over in the Momastery put it, "Do not be afraid of people who seem different than you, baby. Different always turns out to be an illusion. Look hard." LONG LIVE LOVE.

Strawberry said...

You said it, sister. And thank you.


(btw, MD would be the 6th state to recognize marriage- Same-sex marriages are already recognized in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Washington, DC.)

Sprite's Keeper said...

What a great slogan! I'm adopting it. LONG LIVE LOVE!

Michele said...

Amen!!!

Jennifer said...

I could not agree more. People are so scared and politicians use it as a weapon to gain votes. I'm glad more people see it clearly. Hooray!

I was looking for new blogs earlier, clicked "next blog" and found you. Thanks for being next.

Keely said...

That is a fantastic slogan. It continually baffles me that people can be SO narrow minded. Why crusade against something that will never affect you, just because you're afraid of it? And are you so unaware that you can't admit that you ARE afraid of it?

Fortunately, there are people like you, Jenni, who crusade right back :)

only a movie said...

Very well put. Over here on Sprite's Mom's recommendation.

Susanica said...

Like! A lot!

Amy said...

You've got moxie, girl. I love it!

Amanda said...

Amen, sistah! And I am SO very glad to hear that no one honked - WTG Connecticut Ave. traffic-sitters!!!