Having a three-year-old is not all bad, so on the heels of my last post, I though I'd talk about some of the cool things Oscar is doing these days.
1. He uses the toilet. Look, Ma, no diapers! He's even night trained. And he can almost wipe his own butt, even though this sometimes ends with him walking down the stairs with a three foot long sheet of toilet paper hanging out of his butt, while he yells, "MOM, LOOK! I HAVE A KANGAROO TAIL!"
2. He has an amazing imagination. He says things like, "If I had a monster truck, I'd name it Thunder Bounce." That is a GREAT name for a monster truck. His teacher said to me on Friday, "So, I hear you have big plans this weekend. Oscar tells me the whole family is taking a trip on an airplane to a park where there are real dinosaurs, and he's going to catch one of those dinosaurs and bring it to school for show-and-tell next week." And he's never even seen Jurassic Park! He makes up stories and involves Miles in really complicated imaginative play. It is fun to watch.
3. He plays with his brother. We've finally reached a stage where the boys actually play together, and since Oscar's play is so much more advanced, he makes a real effort to include Miles, even though Miles usually can't get with the program. Oscar easily adapts his games so that Miles can participate. They are becoming real friends. A mother's dream.
4. He can dress and undress himself. He sometimes still needs help getting shirts on/off his head, but he can do everything else, even though the socks continue to be a bit frustrating. In truth, it is about 1,000 times faster for me to just dress him, but I still let him do it by himself, because it makes him so proud. It makes me so proud.
5. He can tell me what he wants and/or needs. This is wonderful. I don't have to guess if he's hungry or hurt or angry or tired. He will just tell me. With words! No guessing games required. Oscar and I can actually communicate in a real and meaningful way. Three cheers for full sentences!
I do enjoy Oscar. I enjoy that he is smart and funny and becoming a real person. This is the fun part.