Tuesday, March 15, 2011

RTT: Reading, Running, Falling

I haven't played this in a while, so lets see if I still have what it takes...

randomtuesday

*So, I'm just finishing up Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne and it is seriously one of the funniest books I have read in a very long time.  You should read it.  It is written as the diaries of a 14-year-old boy who is a little too smart for his own good and gets himself into unbelievable amounts of trouble, manipulates his parents, and alienates his friends, all for his One and Only True Love.  They made it into a movie not too long ago, which I've not seen, starring this generation's John Cusak, Michael Cera. Seriously though, if this is really how the  minds of teenage boys work, I'm retiring from this parenting gig 10 years from now.

*I read this book in regular book form, even though I've not purchased a regular book since getting my Kindle  for Christmas.  I got this book for free from Paperback Swap.  It is a really great way to get rid of some of your old books and get some new ones for the price of a media mail package.  I like this because I am a person that likes to have a lot of books in my queue, so I have maybe three or four I've gotten from Paperback Swap that I have not read yet (two that were not available for my Kindle), and then two on my Kindle, not to mention the two library books I just picked up Saturday.  I am filthy with reading material.  I'm actually feeling a little pressured because I only have three weeks with the library books, and we are reading Outlander for my book group next month and that thing is a monster.


*Nelson is in Arizona all week.   I miss him, but things are much easier to manage on my own now that the boys are bigger.  

*I was short with Oscar yesterday about dropping his water on the floor for the 70 bermillionth time yesterday.  I immediately apologized but I still feel like a jerk.  He spent that night at my in-laws house last night and I can't wait to have him home.


*I'm still running.  This week I start the third week of my Couch to 5K training, and I'm feeling a little worried because I will have to run for three consecutive minutes and I don't know that I've ever run for that long in my life.  Really.  I keep telling myself that I've slowly built up to this and that I can do it, but maybe you could also tell me and I'd feel a little bolstered?

*My brother and I went out on Saturday night and I had three more beers than I intended.  And I fell.  In the bar.  It wasn't a total drunken stumble.  I was getting up from my chair, and my pant leg got hooked on the heel of the opposite shoe, so it through me off balance and I just knew that there was no getting myself untangled without falling.  So I just fell.  I was not injured and was helped up quickly and thankfully I'd had enough beers that I was not really embarrassed.

*Unfortunately, as we were walking to the car, my stupid shoe went out from under me and I twisted my ankle (I did not fall, though.)  I had been looking for shoes with good support and lots of folks recommended Dansko clogs, so I bought a pair.  Well, one person mentioned that while they have good arch support they have zero ankle support and boy was she right.  Though I'm sure the beer did not help.

*My left foot/ankle is a little wonky as a result of the aforementioned twist.  It is not swollen, but it hurts.  I ran on Sunday (before the pain set in, and yes, after my many beers) and last night I walked with an ankle brace.  I'm going to try to run tonight with the ankle brace, but if I'm having lots of pain, I'm going to stop and just walk.  I would feel very annoyed if I had to disrupt my training due to clumsy injury, but I don't want to make it worse, that's for sure.

That's all for today.  I am an Amazon Associate so I receive financial renumeration for any clicks through to books/products mentioned or purchases of books/products mentioned.

Go see Keely and give a shout to some other Random Tuesday Thinkers.

12 comments:

allstarme said...

My kid drops his water cup at least twice a day, but he won't take the sippy anymore because he wants to be a big boy (almost 4). But at almost 4 I'm like, come on, kid, get it together! Anyway, happy random Tuesday!

Kristine said...

My daughter is 11 and she STILL drops her cup every where. I am almost at the point where she will be banished to the deck to eat or drink because I am tired of cleaning up her messes. LOL

Happy Tuesday!

VandyJ said...

I want a Kindle. But then I might never get anything done--real books are bad enough.
Keep at the running, but take care of that ankle.

Michele R said...

You always write things that make me giggle. I am home today with Youngest who has Strep throat so I get to freely read....
you may want to give your ankle a day of rest and that will be OK. Keep your eye on the long term--I really think it would be OK to skip a day. I hadn't heard of the Couch thing but I do know the method of the one minute walk, then jog, etc. I did thid while on vacay in FL with a SIL--there the streets are flat so it was easier than here. I really need to do this now that my excuse of cold mornings are over. Just need to get to bed earlier....
Had not heard of Youth in Revolt--will check it out. I have a 14 yr old boy......we have to have big discussions every three nights--totally not joking here. he is not happy that he has the strictest parents in the whole school.
The paperback swap thing is cool. I am down the road from Goodwill and I go about every week to get books for Hubs' classroom bookshelf and have gotten so many for me that I just got a new bookshelf for the bedroom.

Hannah Hammonds said...

Once your ankle gets better I'm sure you can run for 3 minutes at a time! Good luck!

Captain Dumbass said...

My kid puked grapes all over me yesterday so water wouldn't have been all bad. Glad to hear you're still running, that's great.

Michele said...

I want a Kindle. No I really want a Kindle! Keep running. It was great meeting you. Let's do it again.

gretchen said...

I am terribly impressed and inspired by your running. Not quite inspired enough to start running myself, but...

Mrsbear said...

You can do 3 minutes. You can. Just take it easy on the ankle.

I did the couch to 5K for a time last year, but my shins were not cooperating. Don't think I made it to 3 min though. Best of luck!

Bugaloo said...

I think with couch to 5k, it's okay if you don't match up perfectly. What I found was that I suddenly reached a point where I could just keep going. I will never forget that day, because I never believed that I could run any length of time, or any distance. I also completely ignore speed. Jogging is still running. Just did my second 10- miler last fall, and am gearing up for more running this season. I was a theater geek and would never consider myself an athlete or any sort of runner/jogger (just ask Monica/Pep). You can do it -- and there is no rush!

Casey said...

I'd be willing to bet the beer had a lot to do with it but it would have been better if caught on tape!

My kids knock over their damn water/juice/plates at least ten times a day and it's the most irritating thing ever. Grrr.

Keely said...

Oh, I didn't know Youth in Revolt was a book. I saw the movie. It wasn't too bad, but it required Michael Cera to play something other than Michael Cera, which he didn't exactly accomplish.

I'm planning to go for a run (well, it will probably be a high percentage of walking but still) on Sunday if I've recovered from this Phlegmy Death.