Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Conversations with a preschooler: A preview to the teen years

Jenni: Oscar, are you going to finish picking up those toys?  Oscar?

Oscar: I don't hear you, mom.

Jenni: You don't hear me?

Oscar: No, I don't hear anything you say.

*****************************

Oscar: I want to bring Blanket to school today.

Jenni: No.  You are only allowed to bring Bunny.  No Blanket.

Oscar: No! But I love Blanket!  I'm going to bring him!

Jenni: Fine. Then you have to leave Bunny at home.

Oscar: No!  I love BOTH of them! I want to bring both.

Jenni: No, those are not the rules. You can only bring one to school.  If you bring Blanket, you leave Bunny.  That's it.  No more discussion.

Oscar: Well, I'm just going to pout about it.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

So cute! Thanks for the laugh!

jpooh said...

This made me smile. Much better than the long conversation over dinner last night that ended with me telling my youngest A) He can grow a goatee if he keeps it neat and 2) the goatee will look nice over the broken neck he'll have if I ever find out he's been smoking pot.

To paraphrase Bill Cosby, the nice thing about having 5 kids is that I don't have 6.

Jan

Amanda said...

Haha! And so it begins...

Keely said...

I have those exact same conversations every day (especially the last one), except he doesn't tell me he'll go pout. He just does it.

Susanica said...

More please! I could read these all day! -M

Patty O. said...

This is great! "I'm just going to pout about it!" Great stuff.

gretchen said...

It's scary, right? Wait until one of them tells you he wants to kiss a girl. Yikes.