Monday, April 25, 2011

Do you salad?

Do you?  I do, often.  I have salads for lunch three or four times a week, and as a side with dinner nearly as often.  It's not a dieting thing.  I love them.

My dinner side salads are your garden variety green salads - lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes (in season), and that's about it.  My lunch salads are another story.  My lunch salads are meals.

I love salads. You should love salads.  They are quick and easy and a great way to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, yummy cheeses, an healthy oils.

I'm going to introduce you to one of my favorite lunch salads, the Beet and Citrus Blue Salad.  It's amazing.

You'll need:

1 head romaine heart
3-4 small beets cooked (you can roast your own once they are in seasons, but you can buy cooked beets in the store year round and they are nearly as tasty as fresh.)
1 piece citrus fruit (orange, tangerine, minneola, tangelo, clementine, red grapefruit)
1/4 cup blue cheese
Balsamic vinegar to taste
Olive oil, to taste

Slice your romain heart, beets, and citrus fruit (I used a minneola).  Put the lettuce on the plate; follow with beets, citrus, and blue cheese.  Top with blue cheese and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste. Voila!  Lunch in five minutes.  Go ahead and make this salad.  You're welcome.

12 comments:

Jamie said...

Yum! Just added ingredients to the hubby's shopping list :)

Sprite's Keeper said...

Would you believe I've never had a cooked beet? something I must fix soon...

Sinead said...

I've never tasted beet either... What is it like?

List of interesting salads you might like: http://irishwishesarespecial.blogspot.com/2011/04/is-it-summer-yet.html

Keely said...

Who are these people that have never had beets?? :)

Looks yummy!

Veronica said...

I LOOOOVE salad. Love. Like, I would eat salad daily if my fruit and veg buying could hold up to it.

gretchen said...

Beets and blue is my favorite food combo! Trader Joe's has cooked baby beets in a bag that are delish. I'm a salad girl too. Hurray leafy greens!

jpooh said...

I cannot WAIT until our CSA co-op deliveries begin in early June - I understand we are going to get a buttload o' lettuce, all different kinds. Then we'll be swimmin' in salads! And I loooooove me some beets.

But is there no protein on this salad? It is just crying out for some chicken!

Jan

Andrea said...

I do love to eat a salad, but have some sort of aversion to the effort it takes to make one! Pathetic, I know!

Susanica said...

I have to make a confession Jenni. I grew up in a family where we didn't really make salads. And as a result, I don't really like them. Oh, I'll eat them but they seem a poor substitute for heartier foods. Su loves them so we eat them much more than I ever did before (like really delicious and creative ones), but I wish I loved them more. How do you learn to love, yawn, salad? -M

Captain Dumbass said...

Mmmm, beets. Sure you look like you're a boxer whose had his kidneys worked over next time you pee, but they're so good.

Casey said...

I don't and I'm bad. I need to force myself to like/eat salads and they have to be loaded down with fatty dressings for me to enjoy them. I'm also bad about drinking water. Don't tell my mom.

Andrea said...

I could barely read the post...I was so busy drooling over the picture.

I used to eat salad (Like you, in the form of a meal at lunch), everyday. I ate salad for literally over a year everyday at lunch when my son was a baby. I'd also take al the ingredients and put them inside a pita. Mmm!

I used to eat them a lot when we lived in Germany because I could get such a variety of great stuff at farmers markets. Now I want to do salads but half the time the selection at Kroger is seriously lacking and rather wilted, so I end up getting Japanese instead (we have a Toyota headquarters in our tiny town, so always lots of great soba around...)