Monday, April 4, 2011

The finish

I finished my race on Saturday!  It was going really well the first half. Since I've not trained to run a full three miles, I was running in 1/2 mile increments and then walking for 1/4 mile.  And, I was doing great.  Running my best time ever (still not fast, but fast for me at around 13:23 minutes/mile) and feeling strong, but tired.

During my second 1/2 mile running interval, I was feeling tired and wanted to stop, so instead of just starting my walking a .10 of  a mile early, I decided to sprint that last .10 mile.  Dumb.  I don't know what exactly I did, but I must have hit a rock or a tree gum ball or something and I pulled a muscle in my neck.

It was painful.  Really painful.  I couldn't turn my head more than an inch to the left.  But, I was at my 1/4 mile walking point so I decided to try to stretch it out while I was walking.  It felt almost like something was pinched so I though I could pull it out.  WRONG.  Everything I did made my neck hurt worse.  And the pain was starting to go from neck into my right shoulder and down my back.

When the 1/4 mile walking interval was up, I decided to try and run my next 1/2 mile.  I only had 1.5 miles left in the race and I was hoping for a decent finish.  Well, that was another mistake.  Each step I took hurt my neck/shoulder/back more and more.  I finished my 1/2 mile and walked the final mile.

I alternated ice heat on my injury for the remainder of the day, and then made another mistake of trying to run again on Sunday.  I ended up cramping up in my calves after about running for about 1.5 miles and my shoulder was killing me last night.  And this morning.

I did some more stretching today, I'll do more ice and heat, but more importantly I'm taking two days off from all running/walking activity.  I might grab a yoga class tomorrow night, but I'm giving my body a rest from the cardio and hard muscle workouts of running.

In general, things with the running are going well.  This is my sixth week in the Couch to 5K program, so my last week of intervals.  My speed has been increasing, as has my endurance.  I've been losing an average of 2lbs a week, which is great for me (I usually average about 1.2), but more importantly, my clothes are fitting better.  I can feel that my pants are looser not only in my waist but also in my thighs.

That's the fitness news in these parts.  We had a pretty full weekend, though, including some pet related drama (don't worry, they are all still a live, though not entirely well - more later), but the weather is supposed to be amazing this week, so after my self imposed rest I'm looking forward to lacing up my running shoes again

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention the best part of the race!  Look who was waiting for me when I finished:


Best. Cheering section. Ever.

11 comments:

Aliceson said...

Way to go! Even with the pain, you did it! Woohoo!

Sprite's Keeper said...

So proud of you! I need to get back to my running, I do actually miss it.

Michele said...

I hear that first race is always the hardest. You finished and that is all that matters. Great job! I can't tell you how proud I am that you have stuck with it so long. Me? I'd have wussed out by week 3. Your cheering section is adorable.

VandyJ said...

Congrats on finishing your first race. Hope your neck feels better soon.

Strawberry said...

THAT is adorable. Congrats on the race!!

Keely said...

You are SO amazing for running it! I would be thrilled with that uber-cute cheering section, too.

Becky said...

Proud proud proud! And impressed that you pushed on while in pain! It sounds like you need a break.

Congratulations!

Jennifer said...

Awesome stuff!! Running is hard work!! I run as well!
I have been reading your blog for a few months but this is the first time I'm commenting! I love how you share all of the cute things your boys do! Keep on running!

Momma Hunt said...

Despite the injury congrats on your race. This is a great accomplishment. I think I might start trying a couch to 5K... I have always wanted to do a 5k but have never been in good enough shape to do it

Casey said...

YAYAYAYAY, you totally rock! I love your cheering section, so sorry about your neck. Mine was tensing up just reading about your injury (and re-injury and so forth).

gretchen said...

Hurray you!! I am SO inspired by you. Almost inspired enough to start this Couch to 5K thing myself. Almost.

BTW, Advil + Epsom Salt.