Monday, June 6, 2011

Here it is the groove slightly transformed.

Man, I would know summertime anywhere by the seemingly endless loads of beach towels and bathing suits.  I'm doing at least four extra loads a week and I'm not even complaining.  Oscar's got school for another week, and PS isn't out until next Friday, so we're not in full effect yet, but we're working it.

Other summertime indicators: water in the sand and water table; grilling out every night; Popsicles by the box; the hum of our window units.  Oh, and you do not want to challenge me to a watermelon eating contest.  Also, the steamy, muggy days and ridiculous mosquitoes that come with summertime in a swamp.  It's cool, though, we've got a sprinkler and bug spray.  You cannot get us down, DC summer!

We had a couple of hot, hot, hot ones last week, where the temps were in the upper 90s.  That's really hot for these parts this early in the year.  I don't know that my tomatoes will recover.  I watered them and watered them, but I think the water evaporated before it even reached the soil.  I've been watering them like crazy since then and they were looking better, until I just watered them today and they now look worse than ever (too much water?).  Especially sad as we had a ton of green cherry tomatoes, lots of plum tomatoes, and tons and tons of blossoms on the beefsteak.  If they die we still have time to put more in, though, so I'm trying to remain optimistic, even though there are going to be two more scorchers this week.

So, I'm fairly certain I'm going to have to start toilet training Miles William this summer.  I'm not looking forward to that, although I am looking forward to not having to change and wash diapers anymore.  Eye on the prize, eye on the prize.

Lets, see, lets see.  Lots of summer plans in the works.  We've got birthday parties out the wazoo, including Oscar's fourth.  We're planning a trip to visit Becky and her family next month and that should be awesome; a potential vacation to Vermont in early August, and then our annual family Outer Banks beach vacation at the end of the summer.  And of course lots and lots of trips to the pool.  Oscar's also taking swim lessons and Tae Kwon Do, and has two weeks of summer camp in July, and probably a regular playgroup with his classmates, so it's going to be a busy one.

We are just doing the thing here, kicking it summer style.  Whatcha got going on?





6 comments:

Michele R said...

Sounds wonderful. I remember when Hubs and I would be in the pool all the time when the boys were little (n'hood pool we'd join) teaching the boys to swim and it paid off...later years going to the pool means they play and I read and get into the pool only when I want to.
I swear for old times sake I am getting popsicles and turning on the rotating sprinkler.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Ever since John bought a barbeque two weeks ago, we have used it six times. Last night, John grilled broccoli and green beans. Oh my, he will have to do that again!

Keely said...

It's not totally summer here yet. Yesterday was the first day it really felt like a summer day. We did some yard work, ate corn on the cob and went for ice cream afterwards.

Michele said...

We are not doing anything near as exciting unless you call moving exciting. I call it a pain in the you know what.

Casey said...

The towels are a bummer but worth it for the fun of summer. We hang them on the pool fence and reuse them but still, the laundry seems endless here. Glad you guys are digging summertime too, there's nothing like popsicles and watermelon...

Amy said...

I didn't know y'all were going to the ATL--fun! Man, I do live that summer vibe, spending most of the day in your swimsuit, eatin' Popsicles. If we just had air con it'd be perfect! It's nice to read this and recollect...cause right now I'm huddled under my down comforter with the electric blanket on! Cold days in Sydney!

Enjoy your lazy days--well,as lazy as they can be with two little dudes!