Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Housewifery

Here are the things I have done/will do today, in no particular order:

1) Unload/reload dishwasher
2) Arrange play date for Oscar
3) Coordinate weekly playgroup
4) Pack it up and head to the pool (possibly twice, weather and children depending)
5) Call pest control (ants) and schedule visit
6) Pull together non-perishables for food drive at Nelson's work
7) 2-3 loads of laundry
8) Fix lunches/snacks
9) Plan & prepare dinner
10) Entertain/care for children (playing with them, dressing them, changing diapers, etc.)
11) Light house work - picking up, dusting, crumb wiping, bed making, etc.
12) Water/harvest garden if necessary
13) Pay the car payment

This is just how I spend my day, my basic housewifery.  My motions, if you will.  I recognize that this is not earth shattering, exciting stuff that involves deep thinking or strategics, but it is the important stuff that keeps my family plugging along each week. But, I have to tell you, I love this stuff, all these little tasks that push things along.  Little accomplishments all day long.  It suits me. 

What about you?  Your daily grind?  Do you love it?  Hate it?  Gimmie the painfully boring deets.


5 comments:

Michele said...

I remember being a stay-at-home mom and this list looks very familiar. Now, my days are filled with meetings and thinking/cooking food. I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about food. It may explain the jiggle.

Sprite's Keeper said...

If we could afford it, I would definitely try my hand at being a SAHM. I love those little accomplishments where you can look around and see your children playing nicely or coloring quietly on the floor and the rest of the house is clean and everything is just perfect. Of course, this only lasts for 5 minutes before it all turns to hell, but I do live for those moments.

rachel said...

I would be a horrible SAHM. I despise housework. I am one that really needs to have a set 'away' time everyday to keep my sanity and be the best mom I can be when I am home. I feel guilty alot because of these things. My stepsister is a SAHM and there are days I envy her but the other 99% of the time I am in awe. Good Job, Jenni!

Captain Dumbass said...

My 8 hours of desk work was far less stressful than that, though I'd love to go back to being a SAHD.

gretchen said...

I think I'll go with love/hate. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment of getting that bill paid/that laundry folded/that bed made. But really? I'd rather be sitting in the hammock with the mojito. Dear God I want a maid.